House infested with chicken mites

Msm1707

Hatching
Mar 31, 2020
Perth, Western Australia
We have had chicken mites through the house, my daughter getting bitten several times. Only realised it was coming from the chooks when we went to the coop. They were literally jumping out of the soil around our feet. This all happened so quickly. We have sprayed the coop and run with the following which we got from our stock feed place. We have dusted the chooks, dogs and new bedding with DE. Inside I have bombed with a flea bomb in each room and hot washed all bedding and soft items in the rooms. Do we need to redo the house after a week or two as well? Or just the coop and chooks? Are the eggs still good after this treatment? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• DE125D5C-9E62-4434-8708-7CA7D99D6C45.jpeg
    DE125D5C-9E62-4434-8708-7CA7D99D6C45.jpeg
    540.3 KB · Views: 20
Shouldn't need to re-treat the house as both red mites and northern fowl mites can't survive off human blood.

Yes, you will need to re-treat the birds. As far as eggs, I am not familiar with the product you used so I'd check the package for instructions.

As far as continuing to keep them out of the house from this point forward: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/evil-chicken-mites.1354517/#post-22342505

We have had chicken mites through the house, my daughter getting bitten several times. Only realised it was coming from the chooks when we went to the coop. They were literally jumping out of the soil around our feet. This all happened so quickly. We have sprayed the coop and run with the following which we got from our stock feed place. We have dusted the chooks, dogs and new bedding with DE. Inside I have bombed with a flea bomb in each room and hot washed all bedding and soft items in the rooms. Do we need to redo the house after a week or two as well? Or just the coop and chooks? Are the eggs still good after this treatment? Thanks everyone.

How long did the coop have the mites?
We clean coop's often and put new pine shavings down. ...and in between changes we scatter DE on the floor.

We use food grade DE and once a quarter routinely add 2 to 3 cups to the one foot tall dust barrel ..... which has fresh wood ashes and dirt.... for dusting.

Occasionally, we find a bird with mites and will literally dust it with DE under wings and generally all over rubbing against the feather layers. (old hair blowers work wonders at this time....however because we drop DE in the intake for distribution...they don't last long...we do this outside and wear mask).

The program seems to work.

I learned the hard way. DE doesn't work. I have tried a lot of different things. I use permethrin. It works. If you have a TSC they carry the permethrin powder, premixed spray bottles and the concentrate. As a bonus there is no egg withdrawal period. I also put some of the dust in the nest boxes. It does take a few weekly thorough sprayings everywhere to completely eradicate them. Permethrin does not kill the mite eggs so repeat sprayings or dusting is necessary. Good luck...

How long did the coop have the mites?
We clean coop's often and put new pine shavings down. ...and in between changes we scatter DE on the floor.

We use food grade DE and once a quarter routinely add 2 to 3 cups to the one foot tall dust barrel ..... which has fresh wood ashes and dirt.... for dusting.

Occasionally, we find a bird with mites and will literally dust it with DE under wings and generally all over rubbing against the feather layers. (old hair blowers work wonders at this time....however because we drop DE in the intake for distribution...they don't last long...we do this outside and wear mask).

The program seems to work.
It was probably the wood ash.

Last years was the first time I had any problem with mites. I thought the birds were going through their yearly molt but when they weren't getting their feathers back in I checked them over and discovered the mites. I treated them with different things including DE which didn't get rid of them. I had some sevin dust so I put that on the most infested and it did help. I bought some permethrin spray and sprayed the birds and thoroughly sprayed inside the coops. Within a couple of weeks I noticed they weren't infested anymore. I sprayed the coops another couple of weeks. The birds were getting their feathers back. Now they are beautiful again and as I mentioned in my previous post, there is no egg withdrawal period. Again, good luck...

Chemicals are very bad...... for animals, me, environment......period.

We use DE as de-wormer also for our registered Angus herd. Also we use apple cider vinegar...1 gallon per 100 gallons of water for de-worming as a switch off...it works. We are experimenting with this mix for de-worming our flocks. Juror is still out.

We currently de-worm our flocks with food grade DE by mixing it with laying pellets and clean oats .....about every 3/4 months...or when messy vent feathers are present,or dirty egg shells.
A vet in Texas advises he has not used chemicals on his cattle herd for the past 18 years...DE and/or apple cider vinegar...only....for de-worming.

Use natural methods ......as possible.....worms develop defenses for the chemicals....but not DE or apple cider vinegar....per the scientists.

Example;...no yard/lawn should be allowed to use, pesticides, herbicides...only agriculture operations...sparingly...as required.

Chemicals are the last thing we should go too....... to solve a problem.

Last edited:
DE is a deterrent at best. ACV is a great source of calcium, both for humans, and animals. IF you don't have an infestation, using deterrents is good, but when you've got a full blown infestation, it's time to use something that's quick, and effective. I agree that overuse is not good. BTW, DE causes respiratory issues, so even be careful using that.

Back
Top Bottom