House kept Hen off colour

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AgentBloomers, Jan 24, 2014.

1. AgentBloomers

AgentBloomers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Buckingham
    Ok so cutting to the chase, yep I know chickens live in coops outside but my hen, who's called Chicken decided to move in so she now lives in the house and nap's on the sofa with the Doberman, her best friend Radish.

History: Ex Battery hen, rehomed with family, then rehomed with another hen to young couple who introduced two young hens. The young couple, my neighbors soon had 3 deceased hens.
    The young couple when on holiday in July/August 2012 and asked me to care for the hen while they were away. I did. I let her out of her very large run to roam the two gardens everyday. When they returned I continued to let her out; I work from home.
    My back door leads onto my kitchen dinner that has a stone floor, chicken would regularly pop in.
    When it was cold or wet she would hunker down with Radish in her bed, then as then nights got colder I hadn't the heart to remove her and take her outside to her lonely run.
    Anyway Chicken was moved in by Christmas 2012

Food:
    She has a feeder with a mix of grit, corn and layer pellets. she has also meal worms most weeks. In addition to this she has any scrapes from the kitchen she wants, during the winter we often ensure there's warm pasta, roasted garlic, rice on hand for her

Exercise:
    She has full access to go outside, she pecks the cat flap to go out and to come in.
    Every morning she's put outside with Radish while I prepare breakfast for everyone.

Personal Space:
    She has a large cardboard box which is lined with towels and blankets where she sleeps at nigh of goes if she wants some space.
    He top sheet is changed everyday and the rest every week

Off Colour:
    Yesterday she was fine in the morning, I then left mid morning on a hunt for a large low box and chinchilla dust so she could dust bath indoors.When I returned home I saw she hadn't moved from her place in Radish's bed. As the evening progressed it became obvious she was off colour.
    She won't eat and we've tried pasta, meal worms, boiled eggs.
    The day before yesterday she has been in the garden and had been picking at some grass, she was only picking at the stuff in my hands that I was picking for guinea pigs. I read on this wonderful site about her crop being tied up with a long strand of grass so I followed the advice and she has been massaged and had olive oil - 1 teaspoon late last night (10pm) and we tried again this morning, 12 hours later.
    Her comb is a strong shade of pink.
    She has a new growth of feather coming through under neath.

Can anyone offer any ideas of what else I can do to make my vip hen feel better?

1 person likes this.
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Check her crop. Is it squishy (slow/sour) or hard (imacted)? Do NOT give her oil. Oil is not good for either of these crop conditions and will only make matters worse. If it is impacted, she needs to be given water with crop massages to break up the impaction. No food for 24 hours. If it is squishy, then she will need a vomiting first thing in the mornings and offered damp layer feed only. No hard foods. No free ranging.

Could she be egg bound? You might put on a latex glove with KY jelly on the index finger and insert your finger into the vent to see if you feel an egg. If there is an egg there, you can soak her lower half in a warm bath for about 15 mins and that usually gets those stuck eggs moving.

Give her an over all exam for anything else that you might see wrong with her. Check the skin, color of comb, legs, face, breathing, etc.. Feel her feet. If they are cold, she might benefit with some heat to keep her warm.

If she continues to be "off" and you are unable to figure out what might be ailing her, you might post this question in the emergency section here of BYC for more feedback and solutions...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with your baby. I hope she recovers soon.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan

I agree with posting in the Emergencies section - good luck with your hen.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us! I'd post this in the Emergencies section of the forum; hopefully someone there can help you. Good luck with her!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! TwoCrows gave you some good advice, hope Chicken feels better. If it doesn't resolve quickly, do you have a vet you are able to take her to? With older commercial hens, reproductive problems are always a fear, there are some treatments available for internal laying etc.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] My lady's come in the house also [​IMG]

Nice post [​IMG]

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and good luck with your hen.

9. AgentBloomers

AgentBloomers Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Buckingham
    Thank you so much for all your caring advice
    Her crop is empty and very squishy, I gave her plenty of water, 12 tea spoons just under 100ml at lunch time to ensure she didnt dehydrate
    The vet gave her a good exam, neither I nor the vet can find any obvious reason - shes not egg bound, her crop isn't impacted, no obvious signs of poisons
    She's been given antibiotics, (TYLAN) which is mixed with 2 litres of water - the vet isn't sure how much I should be giving her each day but has suggested between 50 to 100ml plus antibotic free water
    She's had 50ml this afternoon (18:00) and has just had a good long drink of antibiotic free water (00:30)

I could really do with some advice ref the drug TYLAN is giving her 50 to 100ml of the diluted drug a day right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by