House Mommy chicken and her 8 babies - lots of pics!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sjisty, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have posted before and told ya'll about my house chicken, Frack. She was seriously injured by a roo a earlier this year and recuperated in the kitchen in a dog kennel. She would go out to the front yard during the day but always came in to lay her eggs and at bedtime. She since rejoined the flock after we re-homed that roo, but still pecks at the front door every day to be let in to lay her eggs.

Well, about 3 weeks ago she decided to be a broody house chicken. She layed one egg and I gave her a couple more from the incubator. She has been faithfuly sitting on them. I let her out for every day. She runs around like a crazy chicken, eats, drinks, poops, sometimes dust bathes and then runs back to the front door. Today is day 18, so I've locked down the incubator, but I took four more eggs out and put them next to her. She looked at me like I was crazy, but then lovingly tucked each one underneath, so now she has seven eggs due to hatch any day.

I'm gonna have seven little house chicks! I think it's time to build another coop/run.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. isaacsmommy104

isaacsmommy104 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Randolph
    That is really cute! I absolutely love it! Make sure you post pics of the chicks!

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awe - That's so awesome! Keep us updated and be sure to post pictures!

4. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I can hear the chicks peeping under Frack as they are hatching. She answers their little cries with soft clucking. Its so touching, I have tears in my eyes! No signs of any chicks yet. This is the best experience!

5. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We have a chick! Whenever she hears chirping, mama Frack softly clucks and raises her body just a little. Here's the first -

[​IMG]

By the way, these are black copper Marans eggs, so they are foster chicks.

I have had hundreds of hatchings, both by 'bator and by broody, but this is the first natural hatching I have ever been able to watch (and hear). It's so exciting!

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Bless her little heart. She knew where her chicks would be safe.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Awe - What a good mommy!

8. newlyweds

newlyweds Pearl of the Prairie

Mar 12, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    What a sweet story and good mommy. Be sure to keep us updated!

9. Trophamus

Trophamus Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Nottingham, UK
    aww very cute!

10. Sjisty

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We're up to 4 chicks - mama and babies are doing fine. This is #3. Chick #4 is all silver, so I don't know what he is - I bought all black copper Marans. He hasn't come out for a picture yet.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by