House or garage for bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by har, Aug 13, 2010.

1. har

har Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Rogers,Ar
    I should be getting some eggs next week. Should I put them in the hot garage or in the A/C house. I have a 1588 bator if that makes a difference Thanks Scott

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    From what I have read, you probably want to put it in the house only so that you won't have to live in the garage after lockdown! [​IMG] As far as the temperature is concerned, I guess it depends on how regulated your bater is. Sorry I can't help you with your particular model.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Put it where you have the steadiest temps. I keep mine in my basement.

4. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    House. I'm guessing you aren't lacking for heat given your location. [​IMG] The house will be a much more stable environment. Just keep the bator away from a window and/or vents.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    When I first got my 1588, I tried to stabilize it in an attached garage. I could not do it. It does not do a great job in adjusting to changing temperatures. I suggest someplace where the temperature is pretty constant, it is not in direct sunlight, and not where a vent blows on it. I put mine in a spare bedroom and it worked well.

6. JulieZ

JulieZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] ....... Being in my first lock down, I understand that comment now.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I keep mine in a spare bedroom, away from windows and A/C vents. I don't have your model, but I bet yours is more sensitive to exterior temperature swings than mine.... the manufacturer (Brinsea) recommends a location with a stable temperature.

8. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Definitely keep it in the house, if that is where your most constant temps are. The suggestions for keeping it away from direct sunlight or drafts are also key, but keep in mind that depending upon the type, some airflow will be important. Keeping it in a space with stagnant air, won't help a still-air incubator, for instance. You need some bit of airflow for temperature and humidity regulation with the air vents. Good luck!

9. riftnreef

riftnreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Mechanicsburg, Ohio
    I'm another basement hatcher. I moved the bator from the bedroom to the basement three hatches ago, and I've had a great deal more success with my LG that way. The temperature stays more constant between daytime and evening temps, and my basement has very limited humidity so the water in the bator makes it easier to regulate humidity w/out outside influance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by