1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

House Peacock

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by KelleyP83, Feb 7, 2013.

1. KelleyP83

KelleyP83 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    West Hattiesburg, MS
    As anyone can see from my "status" as new egg, I don't have a lot of experience with fowl. I do have a good bit of experience with internet forums though and couldn't find anything about this in stickies.

So, I want a peacock pretty badly. I've been researching and building for my (potential) chickens for about 7 months, first incubating starting this Saturday. Once the eggs are set (and being carefully monitored for temperature, humidity and turned appropriately), I was hoping to start researching some peafowl alternatives.

We have three acres, with very accommodating neighbors on the other side (to the north), with about an empty mile to the south of us and no one east or west for miles. Once you get past our northern neighbors, we have a small subdivision springing up with lots of houses every 1-2 acres - so within about 5 miles, there are plenty of homes. I don't want my peacocks to bother anyone, but I really want one - mostly as a happy, spoiled, slightly overfed housepet.

Could I keep a peacock as a housepet?

Please bear in mind, this is Day 1 research. Might be the stupidest question ever asked, but it's my starting place!

(We have 3,400 square feet, almost all tile and hardwood floors - burber carpet in the guest beds, easy to close off. We don't normally run the ceiling fans and we have one indoor pet, a cat, who is a real jerk, but who could reasonably be separated from potential Pea until Pea was big enough to fight back).

Just asking - getting a jumping off point, as it were!

2. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
  3. KelleyP83

KelleyP83 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2013
    West Hattiesburg, MS
    Hey, thanks so much! He's gorgeous!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by