House was robbed today, insurance questions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Duker17, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Duker17

Duker17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    So I came home today to find our laptop, 7 guns, tools, cash, and other misc items stolen.

My question is: how will insurance cover this? We've made a police report and called the insurance company, but it was just the 800 number and they just took information. Will the guns be covered? Will they just write us a check, our will we have to provide receipts for replacements and then be reimbursed? We figured they stole roughly $3200 in cash, will the insurance company replace that?

Thanks!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sorry, that's gotta be a crappy experience. Can't answer your questions. I suppose it depends on the Ins. Co. and your policy. I hope you get what's due.

Imp

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Take a look at your homeowner's policy. Any theft or losses will be stated in there and sometimes most insurance would only give you the decpreciated value or increased value of the rifle or only 80% of the actual value of the replacement gun.

Contact your insurance agent. They should be able to tell you what you need to know.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    So sorry, thats the worst type of violation.
    I hate people. I hope they shoot themselves in the face with one of the guns.. [​IMG]

5. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    I was thinking a some what lower but the face will work.

6. Duker17

Duker17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    Missouri
    You have no idea how much I hope that happens, in the head or...other spots! I hate being home, worried that they will come back, but when im gone, I'm constantly thinking they are at the house taking what they left. I just wonder what all they went through, what they saw, if they plan to come back, it's awful. Im just glad no one was hurt, I've always had a fear of someone breaking in, stealing my stuff, and hurting my animals. Luckily, they didn't hurt any critters. We have to wait till Monday for news on the insurance, guess I will try and dig up our policy this weekend so we know what to expect.

7. Dunkopf

Dunkopf Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Kiowa, Colorado
    It all depends on your policy. Some replace at depreciated or actual value. Most replace at replacement value. I doubt they'll replace the cash.
    Start making a detailed list for the insurance company. Remember that falsifying anything is a serious crime and they do actually investigate to some degree. Naturally they are limited on what they can find out though. All insurance companies have SIU guys that are often ex cops and have a lot of connections.

Bummer about the guns. That's how most criminals get guns they hold stores up with. Hope they don't come back and rob you with your own gun. Do you know anyone that may have known about your gun stash and given that info to someone?

For everyone else. It's always a good idea to make a good inventory of everything in your house and take pictures or a recording. Makes it a lot easier to settle up if your house gets burglarized or burns down or something.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I am sorry you are having to deal with this. Some people just suck! [​IMG]

I agree that you will have to read through your policy to see what is covered. Gather any receipts you have on the stolen items. Pictures and video of your property along with serial numbers are always a good thing to have.

9. geepy

geepy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    central FL
    I truly feel sorry you have to go thru this. It happen to me a few times (drug addicted brother in law of ex-idiot).
    I now have a pack of dogs (5) guarding the house. Hope my insurance don't find out. [​IMG]
    They call dogs a liability but no body has robbed my place since. [​IMG]

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Wow that whole situation just sucks. For those of you out there with minimal coverage, let this members experience be your lessen to check your policy and maybe upgrade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by