housebreaking a small dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by herefordlovinglady, Jul 9, 2010.

1. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    My DSD moved in with us the first of the summer. She brought her small dog with her. Before DSD moved here, Nilla had not had any structure whatsoever. She was left alone all day and sometime until late at night, or my DSD would take the dog with her where ever she was going. When DSD was at home I really do not believe she worked with Nilla. DSD used these puppy pads for the Nilla to use (DSD said that Nilla would use them for peeing but not pooing). I think Nilla is about 6 to 8 months old, part yorkie and pom. I have not house trained a dog in many years, and when I did it was with a new puppy and i took about a week off work to do this (usually crate training). I have asked DSD to research housebreaking and to get some structure in Nilla's life, well it is not happening. DSD will be going off to college and I need to get Nilla housebroken. Please give me any of your tricks, advice, anything to help me get this problem under control. I really like Nilla and have grown very fond of her and do not want to have to rehome her. My DH's advice is to put her in a kennel outside.[​IMG]

2. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Get a toy dog sized crate. Put Nilla in the crate unless you have time to keep her with you and watch her. Put toys in with her, like a Kong toy stuffed with her food or something she can chew. She should only get these toys in her crate, so they make it special. If you can't watch her, put a leash on her and attach it to your waist and keep her with you as you go about your business. Take up her food and water by 7:00 at night. Take her out as soon as she wakes up and as soon as she's done eating. Do this consistently.

Take her outside or to her puppy pads at least every hour and do not distract her until she's finished. As soon as she goes, PRAISE the action (don't start the praise too soon or she'll stop in mid-pee).

Housebreaking an older pup is not easy, but it can be done with this method. Do NOT give her freedom without supervision. Do NOT allow her to make a mistake or you will set yourself back. DO make it easy for her to succeed (go on the pad or outside).

Good luck and feel free to contact me if you want.

Mary
    40+ years raising, training and showing dogs - 28 of those years raising, training and showing toy dogs

[​IMG]

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'd set up an ex pen with the bed and crate in it. Make it long and skinny. Pee pad at one end, crate at the other. The dog is very unlikely to get housetrained or stay housetrained. The other option is to cut a doggy door and put an ex pen on the inside, very small space, with her bed/crate, and another secure area outside the doggy door where she can go potty and not get hurt or lost. Gradually increase her inside space as she shows good potty ettiquete using the outside. If she never shows improvement, don't give her more of the house to mess up in.

4. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Yes, yes, yes! Excellent advice. [​IMG] Small dogs are notoriously hard to housebreak, so the key is being consistent!!

5. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Also, I HATE pee pads!!! They're one way to REALLY confuse a puppy. Is it ok to pee in the house or isn't it?! My advice would be to not start using pee pads or else the dog will think it's ok to eliminate in the house.

6. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Mary thank you so much. I have been reading all morning, but you have made feel that it is possible. I love the little squirt and really do hope to get this done.

My schedule is this...

Leave for work every morning by 7:30, get home in the evening around 6:00. She has been in the crate all week during the day only (guess i need to move her to nights too) and has not messed in it at all. I guess my mistake has been having too much confidence that she has taken care of business and then finding out she still had more to go. I will remove all the treats except for while in the crate. i will have an eagles eye on her.

Not sure what an ex pen is.

also, i hate pads too. It does seem like it would be confusing. She does pee on them though, but never poos on them. I will get a little more aggressive and consistent this weekend

thank you all so much

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    OH, I feel for ya! Poms (or any little dogs) are very hard to housebreak. It took me a full year to completely housebreak my little boy Pom, Cosmo. I thought I would have a stroke over it! He would just look at me and pee on the floor sometimes........I had to buy my own carpet cleaner, and use that pet solution.

Well, he's 5 now and a very good boy. Totally potty trained. What I advise is this. Your little Nilla should have to be in the crate at night, and ANYTIME you are not home--even if you're outside in the yard. First thing in the AM, you scoop her up and take her outside. Say the same thing...."Go potty, go potty" until she does, then PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE.

Take her inside and give her a small treat bite. Just a little nibble.

Always take her out the same door. Always watch her so you can give the command to go potty and then praise.....after a while, she should be fine.

Since she's used to those pee pads, you might have to put one outside at first.....to convert her. Or, just take her to the same spot in the grass every time.......

It's very time consuming and even annoying, but soon, she will run to that door and let you know!

Good luck! I know you can do it!

Sharon

8. FourPawz

FourPawz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Virginia
    Housebreaking little dogs is a bit of work, but can be done. I've been involved with toy rescue off and on for years. It's not easy and takes some work, but the rewards are definitely worth the effort. The people who say "it can't be done" just haven't done it right. [​IMG] The biggest mistake people make is to give the dog too much unsupervised freedom too soon. They tend to get frustrated and then punish the dog for accidents. All this does is make the dog more determined to hide from them and then to mess in the house.

An "expen" is a small, foldable wire enclosure, usually 8 panels that come in a choice of heights. You can get one (they're GREAT for chickens BTW) online or at PetsMart, if you have one nearby. They're great, but sometimes they give the dog too much space, encouraging the dog to go in them (and thus in the house) instead of outside.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by