1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Housecats and chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BrewedInNh, Jun 25, 2011.

1. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    We have 6 hens that are 14 months old, and 2 kittens that are just 16 weeks old. We're hoping the cats will be good mousers since they were feral when we got them.

The cats & hens haven't been allowed within reach of each other yet mostly because we aren't sure who is at more risk, the kittens or the chickens. There's a screen between them in the picture below.

[​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Cats are usually not a problem around adult chickens. Many will go after chicks though. I would allow the cats out with the birds now while you supervise if they will eventually be outside anyway. The cats may chase the chickens.....the chickens may chase the cats. A good peck on the tail will probably teach the cats to steer clear of your adult birds. [​IMG]

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Adult chickens are rarely in danger from a housecat. In fact, they are often taught by the chickens to regret even trying.
    Chicks and younglings can be killed by cats though. From most of what I've read, kittens raised with chickens (and given a good caution by the hens or roo) learn to just ignore the chickens.

Nice pic BTW. Make one wonder what's in each ones mind.....

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

This is a perfect time for the cats to meet the hens and especially roosters. The cats will go in unafraid to check out the birds and get their butts pecked and learn not to mess with chickens. Same works on puppies.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Most of our kittens are born and raised with the chickens, they sometimes even sleep together [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    My cats have free access to the adult chicken areas and I have NEVER had a problem! A few good floggings by a RIR roo or a ticked off BR hen is about all it took to convince them to live in peace with their feathered "friends." The cats are content to take out the occasional mouse and leave the chicken processing to mom and dad. In fact, I have one old Persian who sometimes sleeps in the hen house and even eats chicken food on occasion! He has free access to the house and a full feeder, but he prefers the chickens to his kitty housemates and the dogs (he's actually quite anti-dog, honestly). He has his own "nest box," but one of the BR hens usually cuddles up in there with him (she had a slight cross beak and grew up inside with the "house pets"). I get quite a reaction from anyone who sees them, but I always tell them he's just my "funny looking chicken."

7. ChickenAlgebra

ChickenAlgebra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    The cats and dogs get a few good pecks or flogging from a roo and learn to leave the chickens alone. The coop cat here will chase off any new cat near "her" chicks.

8. BrewedInNh

BrewedInNh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Southern NH
    That settles it then. The kittens get their final shots on Wednesday so we'll allow them to mingle with the hens on Thursday.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

ChickieBooBoo, love the pic. [​IMG]

9. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Quote:That is a very cute pic.

10. KaitlynChick55

KaitlynChick55 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Calumet, UP of MI
    We have a cat that we kept at the house for a while, but now he is a farm cat, and my chickens and cat normally leave eachother alone, but at times when the chickens want the cats food, or they are just bored and want something to chase, they chase the cat around, its pretty funny. but the cat normally outruns them [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by