1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Housegoose help

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lovesgliders, Apr 7, 2012.

1. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I know a few members here have a housegoose. I am seeking some guidance.

My brown Chinese gosling is almost four weeks old, and is constantly using me for a chew toy. Right from the beginning I have discouraged this behavior with a firm NO and, if she does it immediately again, (gently!) holding her beak shut for a moment and repeating the NO.

The problem is that I am worried the message isn't getting through. I haven't seen much improvement, and of course as she grows, it is starting to hurt more and more (especially if she grabs just a tiny bit of skin). I don't mind sticking with it if consistency is key, but before I forge on I just want to see if what I am doing is correct/appropriate? Is she testing me or is this just baby naughtiness?

I wish I knew how to post pictures here. She is the cutest thing!

Thanks for any and all advice!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I don't really think she is trying to test you; its just that goslings love love love to nibble on things. Maybe after you tell her no you can redirect her to chewing on something like a chew toy for a gosling. I guess you might have to experiment, and of course you don't want to offer something that she could accidentally swallow.

3. lovesgliders

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better! She is my first goose so I didn't know. I will try redirecting her. :)

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    Goslings are curious and investigate everything with their bills. Just like human babies put stuff in their mouths.

My goose nibbled on me (and everything else) constantly up until she was 3 or 4 months old. It gradually stopped, and now she never chews me. She'll still investigate new things by nibbling on them, but she loses interest really fast if it isn't food.

5. lovesgliders

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    Thanks so much, it is so good to know that she is just being a typical curious babe. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by