Housewife and WAHM Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by CluckyJay, Jul 1, 2011.

1. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I just really wanted to make a thread for people to talk on, LOL.

I made it, me, me, ME! [​IMG] [​IMG]

What'ca up to with your wifey ways?!

I just got done hauling several loads of hay for the garden. First I had to rake it up. I used a rake head without a handle this season, until hubby brought home a proper rake the other day, lol.

The square foot vegetable garden is doing really well and everything is organic! I hardly ever water it because of a 6 inch layer of mulch, LOL. I just picked my Black Pearl pepper yesterday. The plants and fruits are just so dark purple. WOW! [​IMG]

The chickens and the red wigglers are making great castings! I just made and used 15 gallons of it yesterday! All from a tiny coffee can composter. Coffee Can Composter I can't wait to see what the big composter is making. I keep adding all sorts of food. I am doing the "feed a whole ton of food and let the populations explode" method. Its working wonderfully!

Hubby got a call back to work--Lord willing he will be there on the 11th. Pray it all works out!

I am in the process of training a new chicken dog. Its a mini schnauzer, basset and heeler cross. My Lord, he is UGLY. So far its working out well. If he doesn't work out, they said they'll take him back. He is just a puppy so we have a long way to go.

I have a tiny job I use to pay the phone bill and to make a little extra money. I am trying to save up enough to buy a solar powered electric fence to fence the chickens into a two acre area. [​IMG]

Boo officially starts home schooling next year, I am just thrilled! Were using Sing, Spell, Read, Write and I think he'll do well on it. My sister gave me the program so that helped a whole ton!

What are ya'll into?

[​IMG]

2. lroth217

lroth217 Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Lemont, IL
    Spending WAY toooooo much time readin BYC forums!!! Had to kick the FB habit a month after starting, afraid BYC is a keeper though!!

3. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Failing miserably at my garden, [​IMG] I had the bright idea of having two different garden areas (one for the trailing type plants-pumpkins, squash etc.) I seemed to have forgotten I have trouble keeping up with one! I also ordered too many chicks this year (last time I had this many-60+, I had staggered orders/ages) Seems a bit overwhelming all at once! My almost two year old is a handful, I keep busy with meds and taking care of our special needs son, my two older boys drive me crazy, and I'm trying to fit in work out time every day, and I get frustrated when I don't get my work out in. Phew!

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Work out???

I don't work out. I work outSIDE! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    I can totally relate to the two garden thing. We set out a garden in the backyard and one on the other end of the property. Well, I forgot about the one in the backyard and by the time I remembered it, the cauliflower and broccoli had bolted and the weeds ate the peppers, LOL. I transplanted the peppers and the tomatoes and they are doing well now. Phew! The mulch on the big garden is keeping all but a few, scattered weeds at bay. It is so nice not to have to weed!

I've got over 100 broccoli plants to transplant and get ready for harvest. I figured if they don't take well, I can feed them to the chickens this winter! BYC and FB gave me the idea to make cold frames instead of a greenhouse this year. I have enough glass to make seven, 5'x2.5ft cold frames. We should be good to go next year! [​IMG]

Four kids? I have one and its really hard! LOL I can only imagine having more than him! My stepson was half grown when his daddy and I got together so he was pretty easy. He is engaged now with a baby on the way. [​IMG]

Were building a solar dehydrator too. What better way to store the harvest in a small space. I wanna make lots of dehydrated chicken feed from the garden too. [​IMG] I spend too much time on BYC and FB too, LOL.

Ahhh, I tried working out. I decided I would rather haul rocks and make stone pillars in the garden instead, LOL. Over 15 pounds lost this year!!! Yay! [​IMG]

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm a SAHM mother of 4 - DD11, DS9, DD5 & DS7months and married to an engineer.

I've always gardened, but this is my first time around with a square foot garden and it got HUGE! I'm really impressed with it. I found a paper products processing plant about 30 minutes away that sells their tree fibre compost for $3.00/ton, so I went up there a few times and filled the back of hubbys red pick-up with compost. It was so funny to be waiting in line in my little pick-up for my turn on the scales between all these tractor trailers. Just got my bill in the mail for $1.86 for my compost. Most of my plants look great, but my cabbage, broccoli, huckleberries and eggplants are getting eaten up by something - haven't figured out what, yet.

I work about an hour a day answering customer service emails for a company. It helps to do something.

Nice to meet y'all [​IMG]

7. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    CABBAGE MOTHS!!!

I used neem on mine and it stopped them. I swear I hate those things. My chickens are good at eating them but they have a problem seeing them when they're laying against the stems of the plants. Look for caterpillars laying close to the ribs on the leaves. They are bright green and hard to see. Look on the undersides of the leaves too. The hatchlings are verrrry tiny! [​IMG] I hate them!!! lol

Ahhh I am so jealous about your paper source! I would buy some many tons of paper their heads would spin, LOL. Imagine all the compost you can make with that. Wowzers.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  8. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

Work out???

I don't work out. I work outSIDE! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] I do that too-maybe I should just do more of that, and cut out the actual treadmill? lol!​

9. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:You sound very busy too! Yeah, the four kid thing-I wouldn't reccomend it, [​IMG] I have many moments of, "What was I thinking?!" [​IMG] It is soo humid here today, think I'll enjoy working out inside this time; though I'd much rather be outside on a nice day. Congrats on your weight loss-I'm down 13 so far, but haven't always been "good" haha

10. CluckyJay

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Organic square foot gardening corn. Four plants per square foot! These are cast off plants my hubby didn't want, lol. I saved them. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hibiscus and sedum in my homemade stone pillar planter! Chia plant to the far right. Edible taro to the far left.

[​IMG]

Organic tomatoes. Deep mulch is a lifesaver!

[​IMG]

Organic squash! I have removed a huge amount of leaves from the squash plants. They are working really well in my potato bed! Great as a quick-covering mulch.

[​IMG]

You can see where we didn't mulch. The weeds just take over!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by