Housing 2 pairs together?

SaraFL

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Lo and behold what I thought was 3 males, 1 female looks to be 2 males 2 females. There's a Pekin pair and a Khaki pair. Can I keep them housed together? The pen is about 30 sq ft, and then get free range for several hours every day. Is this enough space for the 4 ducks? I don't want any fighting between the males.

Last edited:
It may work, or it may not. 3 drakes and one duck WILL NOT work. Give it a try, and if problems arise have a contingency plan in mind--separation.

I had been planning on getting rid of the extra 2 supposed males but since it turns out it's 1 male 1 female I thought I'd keep them.

Sadly ducks are not like geese and have one mate. I have 2 Pekin pairs and 2 mallard pairs, my Mallard Drake thinks he rules all the females, and bites my other drake. They never fight to the point of hurting each other just little nips here and there at each other.

The male Pekin will try to separate his female Pekin from the rest, but of course it never works so both males will mate with either female! Otherwise for that they never hurt each other, but neither of my males are very aggressive. If you see any aggression I would separate. And if you’re breeding then you might as well separate or you will find mixes
smile.png

If I have to get rid of one of the males, which one should I keep? Will either male mate with either female? Or, if I have them in separate pens but let them free range in the backyard together for a few hours every day, will that be ok?

Last edited:
Both males will breed with either female they don't really care
smile.png
As for knowing if they will fight you will just have to watch them for awhile, my 2 males don't fight they nip at each other usually only if they end up to close to each other in the pond! But remember some Drakes are just nasty mean (even to the females) and they will be that way forever! The only way to find out is wait it out and keep a close eye on them!

2 males with 2 females, your girls are going to get harassed endlessly.

If you intend to eat your ducklings, keep the Pekin. If you want eggs from your ducklings, keep the Khaki Campbell.

If you intend to re-home your ducklings, it is easier to find homes for purebreds. If you want to breed mutts and you want your mutts to go to a home where they will be eaten, keep the Pekin. If you want your mutts to go to homes where they will be kept for egg laying, keep the Campbell.

Back
Top Bottom