Housing a Serama in the Winter

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chefj, Nov 21, 2012.

1. chefj

chefj Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Stoughton
    Hi Everyone - I need some help! I have about 30 chickens of all types (brahmas, rir, easter eggers, orpingtons, etc) including silkies and japanese black tailed bantams.Winterizing has never been an issue with them.
    But, I have just adopted a Serama hen. Boy is she cute! BUT sooo small? I have been reading up on them and I am still confused about how to take care of her over the winter.
    I live in MA, and it can get very cold, wet, and snowy where I am. Is it best to have her inside? Is an area in the basement still too cold? It isn't very warm - in fact, my house is usually only set at 54F all winter. I hope I am posting this in the right area - if not, please tell me : )
    Also - should I have the two bantams in with her for the winter? They seem to be hanging out together all the time.
    Thanks!!

2. 54f, what your furnace must only come on once a day or so....LOL
    How about a nice indoor cage brooder light with heat bulb, that would keep the little hen warmed in her area.. but will she really like being all alone?

3. chefj

chefj Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2009
    Stoughton
    lol pretty much! i thought i would keep her with the 2 japanese black tails she likes. she actually was a single pet for a college student - so i slowly worked her in with the others. thanks for the ideas! it is going to get cold this weekend, so I have to get it all done tomorrow!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by