Housing advice for a duck newbie

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RMo2, Mar 6, 2014.

1. RMo2

RMo2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    I have been searching for duck coops and housing options. Aside from constant access to water, and other special considerations compared to a chicken coop?? I live in an area with a lot of predators and would like to lock the ducks in at night like I do with our hens.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Here are our ducklings :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    They don't NEED water but they are happier with it.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I have a watering station so my ducks always have access to water. Technically, they do okay for 8 to 10 hours overnight without, but especially in hot weather . . . .

Unless they're Muscovies, no perches needed. Mine don't use nest boxes, but they like corners. So I attached some 2'x2' plywood perpendicular to the wall in a couple of places.

A way to separate out one or two ducks short term in case of brooding, conflict, illness or injury is a great thing.

Half inch metal hardware cloth over all openings. Allows for ventilation - very important - but keeps predators out.

Equine electric fence tape is easy to use, and two strands helped us a lot, kept raccoons at more of a distance.

4. RMo2

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Thank you so much! I appreciate the insight!

5. RacerWife7

RacerWife7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Northern, NJ
    When mine were ducklings, we kept them in this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chicken-Coo...474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485ab8eeaa

[​IMG]
    I have 3. And, trust me... it didn't take long before they had outgrown this structure. So, my hubby took apart the back side of the screen and built a much larger pen attached to it. It's large enough to have a small pond inside the enclosure and is covered on the top with screening. They are closed inside the house every night and we have a heat lamp in there for our cold NJ winters. I think it works well for them. And it wasn't 100% built from scratch. It has, sort of, grown with them. ...I have 2 Swedish Blues and 1 Mallard.

Making the whole structure yourself is probably sturdier. But, I wanted to give you another option. ;)

6. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    By this I mean they don't need a pond.

7. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    My duck house is set up to have water in it 24/7. Not necessary in the winter, but I'm not comfortable having them closed up without water during the hot summer nights. I just cut an area out of the floor and covered with hardware cloth. It also helps with daily hose out.

8. RMo2

Apr 22, 2012
    Ohio
    Thank you for the tips! I appreciate it!

9. Carrosaur

Carrosaur Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Some of my friends bought a dog house that was meant for medium sized dogs and built a pen around it, the ducks loved it!

10. Richb353

Richb353 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    I finished this house this past weekend. I have two Cayugas now, but have 20+ more (10 Cayugas, 10 Welsh Harlequin) arriving this week from Metzer Farms. Most of the material I bought from Lowe's; 1 3/8" x 10' fenceposts for the frame, 1/2" in galvanized netting around the sides with 1' poultry netting above in the "triangles". The roof is green Ondura panels 6' x 4', the panels on the corners lift up for access inside. I figure 100 sq. feet divided by two dozen ducks gives them about 4' per duck. They have a larger pasture to wander during the day, but it's not too small to leave them in for a day of two if I'm out of town. Total it ran me about $600.

Here in Florida I was more concerned about the sun than the cold, so I needed shade and breeze more than anything else. There are a few trees planted nearby, but it will be a few years before they give any significant shade.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by