Housing Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KaileyBrown, Apr 1, 2015.

1. KaileyBrown

KaileyBrown Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    So I have 6 chicks, between 12-15 days old of various breeds. Mostly larger (RIRs, leghorns and such). I had them in a 2x2 box until today. I moved them into a multilevel, wire, small mammal cage and modified it a bit for the chicks. They will remain inside my house until the Central Florida weather stabilizes a bit. This cage is 4 feet by 2 feet with 3 additional levels like 1 foot wide by 2 feet long. The chicks happily access all 4 levels. Will this be enough space? They get tons of exercise flapping to higher levels (or walking up the ramps of needed) and in a few days I'll add some perches/roosts higher up. There has been no pecking or fighting or anything. I wish I could post a picture but I can't seem to figure it out.

2. KaileyBrown

Mar 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Additionally I have a heat lamp on top which puts the highest level at 90 degrees, and each level down 3-5 degrees cooler. The floor with bedding sits between 75-78 depending which side they are on. None of them are hiding or huddling anywhere.

3. KaileyBrown

Mar 23, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    [​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'd say it's ideal for baby chicks! They have all their needs met, including a variety of levels to stimulate exercise and prevent boredom. Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by