Housing Bantams and heavies together

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by epona4, Oct 19, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Is that ok or do I need to have them seperated?

Thanks!
    b

2. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    I need to know the exact same thing!

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I think it depends if they were all brooder-mates and whether they get along. My Silkies get along well with my standards, so they are all together. I always tell my daughter that we will anticipate troubles, but only react when they occur.

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I have all sizes in one coop. I have standard, bantam and my rooster is a mix of both. They all get along fine.

5. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    Mine are all together too. To introduce the bantys to my group of full size chickies I put them in a dog kennel and put it in the corner of the coop. This allowed them to see each other from a safe spot. I did it for a couple of weeks and then just opened the cage door and let them out. They didn't have a problem at all.

6. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    Quote:yup, i did that too. seperated em for a bit and slowly introduced em [​IMG]

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Quote:yup, i did that too. seperated em for a bit and slowly introduced em [​IMG]

same here!! my banties hold there own just fine!

8. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    That's great! Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure. Was hoping I didn't have to limit myself to one or the other!! [​IMG]

b

9. cravenchicken

cravenchicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    I just got 2 chickens this weekend My first full grown chickens so far.
    I got one standard, one bantie there seemed to be a little pecking to start in that small cage I had in back of the truck, they are just fine now! Did not wake up to a dead bantie !This topic a hind sight thought on my part opppsssss [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. epona4

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    This topic a hind sight thought on my part opppsssss

Well, if I didn't HAVE to wait for a couple weeks I wouldn't have had the time to think of some of these questions! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by