Housing bantams and standards together

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jossanne, Oct 21, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've always had standard birds, but I'm getting a few bantams next week. When the tiny babies grow up, will they need a coop of their own, or can I integrate them with the others? I successfully integrated three age groups of standard sized birds this summer, so I know it can be done. But will banties always be picked on by big girls?

2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Mine do fine, but I have all teeny bantams and added 4 Black Star pullets.
    It could be because the Black Stars were young and learned to defer to the Seramas before they got big and "bossy". And the two good roos out there are Seramas and keep the peace.
    Its funny watching a Serama hen chase off the 4 Black Stars when they are 4 or 5 times her size.
    Im interested to see what everyone else does...... [​IMG]

3. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    They'll be fine once they get to know each other. I've got 4 banties and 14 standard and all get along. I was worried of the banty polish, reading that the standard would pick on their crest, but haven't had any problems.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I keep mine separate. I think if they are raised together from baby chicks it works out in most cases.
    But i would not put a bantam through the pecking order against birds 3 to 4X their size. I think it is hard enough for a standard size bird to try to find her place in the flock, but it would be brutal for a bantam.
    I think this type of advice could easily vary based on the posters sensitivity to animals [​IMG]

5. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    I purchased three EE standards and two buff Japanese bantams and they're all together. They're certainly not the alpha girls of the coop, but they hold their own. There is an occassional chasing and warning pecks (nothing severe). I noticed the two banatams hang out with each other in their own clique. [​IMG]

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    My other birds are 6 months, 14 weeks and 18 weeks. It'll be at least two months before the banties are ready to go in with them, if they ever are. They're picking on the smallest of my pullets, a white polish, and almost picked her head bald. She's in a cage inside the coop waiting for her hair to grow back in [​IMG]. Hopefully when it's back, she'll be bigger and they won't bother her. They don't bother the 4 other polish birds' crests.

Eventually (I'm thinking next spring) they'll all be free ranging during the day and cooped at night. I want them all to be big enough to chase away the cats, and to be used to the nest boxes so we don't have a big Easter egg hunt every day.

I think when they're free ranging they'll be alright, won't they? They'll have a few acres to spread out across. I guess if I integrate them the way I did my other babies, if things are looking too bad in the beginning, they'll get a home of their own.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  7. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have housed both standards and bantams together. For the most part everyone gets along. I even have guineas housed with them!

8. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    My two evil silkies put the other chickens in their place! My new buttercup takes care of herself and babysits the polish. They were hatched in my grand daughters classroom. My bantie polish is more docile, but the other chickens don't bother them when they are in the yard. I do house the buttercup and polish in a separate coop at night, tho, just because the polish is so tiny.

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I actually had the opposite problem. I tried to add 3 standards to my 8 bantams and the standards are picked on mercilessly. I had to seperate out the worst banty roo and hen until the rest calmed down a little. The standards still keep to themselves and avoid the bantams.

10. rizq

rizq Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Tennessee
    I have 2 standard EE (a pullet and a cockerel) in with my bantam EE for now, but plan to separate them when Gypsy starts laying because I want to hatch some little Gypsies and don't want 1/2 banties, lol.

I have my Serama penned in pairs and our Brahma and SSH have their own pens. I'd be scared to put them all together because of the extreme size differences (1/2 pound Serama vs 10+ pound Brahma may not turn out so well for the poor little Serama!).

As long as they got along reasonably I wouldn't have a problem leaving Rusty and Gypsy in with the bantams if I didn't want to hatch little Gypsies [​IMG]

ETA: The older banties do pick on Rusty and Gypsy a little, but they pick on the younger banties too. I think bantams are just a little mean, probably have to be to make up for their lack of size [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by