Housing Bantams

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MIchick, Oct 15, 2012.

1. MIchick

MIchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    Can a bantam be in a coop with larger chickens? It's a small flock...only one BO, one BR, and one EE. Looking to get one or two bantams, but want to be sure they would be ok together since I don't have a separate space for them.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It depends on the personalities of the large fowl hens. I have my bantams separate now, but that wasn't always the case.

If you do get another bird, it will be a happier bird with a buddy so that she isn't the only new one. Make sure you have adequate roost space, as the large fowl peck and peck at the bantams that get near them on the roost. If they have no escape, it can be bad.

If you only have one feeder, you might need another one as the large fowl might not let the bantams eat. Yes they are that mean to each other sometimes. If all goes well, you will see some pecking but no blood drawn and no feathers plucked out.

IF blood drawn or the bantams don't stand up for themselves at all, cower, and look as though they are about to be killed, you need to separate them pronto!

So I'd try it if you want bantams, but I'd get a pair. It is a good idea to quarantine for a month, and dust for mites/lice and repeat every 7 days until there are no bugs for newcomers. Some diseases can pass quarantine as they can be asymptomatic carriers, so your safest bet is to get chicks from a hatchery/feed store or reputable breeder and raise them separate from the others until they are old enough to integrate (usually around 4 months is good but you might be able to get by with it sooner).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. MIchick

MIchick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2012
    Thank you for all the information! I think you have talked me out of it! LOL! But that's ok...that's why I asked. I would rather know all of this beforehand then get them, and find out the hard way. Thanks for your time!!!

4. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I agree with the previous post. It really does just depend upon the birds. We have several bantams as well as large fowl. They were initially housed in separate coops and allowed to roam around the lawn together. As of now they still reside in separate coops at night, but pretty much forage during the day together and share a large run (when I'm away for a bit or can't keep an eye on them). My bantam hens will occasionally roost or lay in the large fowl coop during the day. -no problems other than the occasional pecking. It never has been an issue. They simply separate to feed from feeders (but will eat grass, bugs, and treats side-by-side). -going to transition everyone into one large coop this spring, allowing plenty of roost/nest space. I would say that space is key, and as the previous poster suggested, two feeders are a must IMO as well. One of my bantam pullets is VERY independent and won't take much from the bigger gals. She can hold her own. I think that large fowl and bantams can exist fine together. Do get two bantams if you decide to give it a try.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by