Housing Birds

Discussion in 'Quail' started by 2chixRcool, Mar 5, 2014.

1. 2chixRcool

2chixRcool New Egg

Mar 5, 2014
    I am wondering if I can house 1 English hen with 1 Coturnix Quail hen?

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I would recommend that you don't that don't house them together. Chickens carry many diseases that can go undetected in them, but be fatal to your quail. You can follow the link in my signature for an example. I recommend keeping the them apart and disinfecting your hands between handling each species.

Many people keep quail with their chickens or, handle one, then other without bio-security. While I appreciate the success of those people, I wouldn't recommend anything could be even potentially fatal to a bird (besides eating them [​IMG]).

You might also want to take a minute to look at the quail stickies they contain a lot of very useful information about keeping quail.

3. luvburds

luvburds Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Macon, Ga
    I just followed the link to the stickies. Very helpful. I have a comment on something I read in the natural food store thread as I just took a course this week from the GA Dep of AG on egg handling. In the thread it said wash eggs at 120 degrees with a bleach solution. In the course they told us the wash solution should be the same temp as the egg. Reason being, too cold and it pulls contaminants in through the pores, too warm amd the pores open up and let in water, along with the cleaning solution.

Just wondering if anyone else had a comment in it

4. dc3085

Actually most members here prefer not to wash the eggs. Eggs are covered naturally by something called the bloom. The bloom is the eggs frontline of protection against bacteria entering the egg through the pores in the shell. When you wash eggs even for just a second the bloom is removed and bacteria that previously could not enter the egg, can now do so easily. In many parts of europe it is actually illegal for commercial egg producers to wash eggs being sold for human consumption.

Thanks for taking time to read through the stickies. Several threads a day are started in search of an answer, when the answer can usually be found there quicker. They are an underutilized tool.

5. Hope It

Hope It Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    Towns County, GA
    How long do quail eggs last (in the fridge and out of the fridge) if unwashed?
    Also, I assume we should not wash the eggs before setting them to incubate?

I'll check out the link above, thanks for the tip!!
    Hope

6. dc3085

Out of the fridge they can last for more than 30 days and still be good. There really aren't any reasonable estimates for how long they last in the fridge.

Correct do not wash them for hatching either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by