Housing Chicks urgent

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cool Peeps, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Cool Peeps

Cool Peeps Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    What Ideas can anyone give me about chicks in what could I house them in for two months before I move them to the big coop something that is affordable and can house 6 chicks seperatley open to any ideas

2. Cool Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    :barnie:idunno

3. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    I am using my spare bathtub. Depending on how many you have you can use the largest rubbermaid storage tubs or a rabbit hutch. You need to make sure there is high sides to stop drafts and a 150-250 watt infared bulb for heat.

4. Cool Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    Any more advice

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    What info do you need anything specific?

6. Cool Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    like what would you be able to house a chick until its 2 months old im doing an experiment and giving them a specific amount so as to not get an uneven amount of feed into each chick but sustanible and cheap if i need to buy

7. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    And why are you doing this?
    [​IMG]

8. Cool Peeps

Sep 25, 2012
    School

9. maidenwolfx80

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    This experiment doesnt sound like it will be very sustainable. How many chicks are you housing? You cant guarantee the amount of feed that goes into each chick. They have a pecking order the chicks at the top of the pecking order will get their fill while the ones at the bottom will get just enough. A rule of thumb if you are trying to do it by measurments from day one to 4 wks they need 1/2 sq ft of space 4-8 wks 1 sq ft of space. That will be the only thing you can control besides the heat they will need to survive.

10. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind of school teacher would promote or condone an experiment in which you are feeding chicks the bare minimum for survival and housing them in a "just good enough to get by" environment...that's what I'd like to know.

Perhaps I'm misreading your intentions or your words, though...it's the internet.

You need to keep them in what is called a brooder. You can use pretty much anything for that - cardboard works for the sides and cardboard is free depending on where you get it. I fully agree with maiden that there is a pecking order and unless you are keeping these chicks separated from each other at all times (somehow) and not giving them food and water except on regulated and scheduled times - there is no way to keep their feed equal. Not only that but some chicks DO require more food than others or more water than others to sustain a balance in their bodies. You need a heat source - you really can't skimp on that aspect, they need to have a heat lamp at one end of their brooder area so they can scoot under it if they get chilly...and they can go to the other side of they get too hot. They also need access to chick starter (food) and water at all times at this age, not scheduled feedings. They are not out there free ranging in the yard and therefore have no choice but to depend on you to do right by them.

I'm not liking the sound of this "experiment".

::steps off soapbox and waits for incoming tomatoes:: [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by