housing delima

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BairleaFarm, Sep 27, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    How to organize all these birds.

what ive got. my coop with 80 or so chickens. my goal 400 by the first snow. I need them for next years CSA. What i want chickens for meat, eggs, and breeding. I dont like the idea of putting birds in a run but its going to have to.

The plan - assuming i can get the finances worked out.

My coop - a grow out coop - free ranging
    future mobile coop with a flock of blue/green egg layers
    future mobile coop #2 with a flock of brown egg layers (maybe RIR and marans)
    future mobile coop #3 unwanted roosters
    If i keep the coops apart and have the specific breeds i want I guess i wouldn't have to cage anyone up. but i still want some other breeds like polish but they would need to be kept separate for breeding purposes.

I dont know maybe im rambling. Just alot to think about and try to plan.

2. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Wow, that sure is some dilemma! 80 birds already, and you want to more than quintuple the population?! That sounds like trigonomic chicken math to me. Sorry I can't help any more than to wish you the best of luck in this endeavor.

3. IRChicken

IRChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    These books should help your research:

Egg Farming in California
    The Dollar Hen
    Open-Air Poultry Houses

I obtained my PDF copies from Archive.org [​IMG]

Cornell Small Farms Youtube Channel has great videos for your research also:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  4. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Very nice.Thanks

5. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Nice setup hes got. Im trying to have 100% free range. Its going to be alot of work.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Good luck with your endeavor. We try to keep our flock to around 100 birds give or take a few. We have 4 coops of which 3 are divided into sections. We have some with next boxes and some without. We are getting ready to build another coop. We have our birds separated by breeds. We do breed our birds. We have Rhode Island Reds, Rhode Island Whites and Isa Browns, Buff Orpingtons and Delaware. We do do some experimental breeding also. We also have Ringneck Pheasants. 300 birds is going to be a lot of work. 100 birds is a lot of work. I have about 100 eggs in an incubator right now and will put 50 more in next week so when the chicks hatch I will have around 250 birds. We have an order for 50 BO chicks.

7. Shawna89

Shawna89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Stamping Ground, Ky
    Quote:I like the set up, it looks weak to me though, we have lots preditors. I wonder if it would still be as light if you put welded wire all around the outside? Or if there is another possible way to add more security? Plus I would love to know how the watering bucket works!

8. BairleaFarm

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    i wondered the same thing shawna. Seems those birds wouldnt last a night here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by