Housing different breeds of Geese together

cwaldensr

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 13, 2014
I currently have a two year old male African grey. He has been alone and I raised him from a baby and now he is quite huge. HIs name is Dolly. Poor thing we thought was a female when we got it, named it a female and it grew up and it's a male. Go figure. Should be a song about like "A Boy Named Sue." lol.

Anyway I am having a hard time finding a comparable female to buy . Ideally I would prefer a female for mating and the eggs but want to know if I can get another breed for companionship. If so what breed? Thanks.

I currently have a two year old male African grey. He has been alone and I raised him from a baby and now he is quite huge. HIs name is Dolly. Poor thing we thought was a female when we got it, named it a female and it grew up and it's a male. Go figure. Should be a song about like "A Boy Named Sue." lol.

Anyway I am having a hard time finding a comparable female to buy . Ideally I would prefer a female for mating and the eggs but want to know if I can get another breed for companionship. If so what breed? Thanks.

Dolly is very handsome, and any breed will work as a companion, I have an Embden gander looked for many years for another for him as a companion and after not finding any gave up until when he was 5 yrs old someone offered me a Toulouse female age 4 months they are inseparable. That was going on 3 yrs ago. This past year we brought in 2 more goslings at 2 days old one Toulouse and the other American Buff gander and goose. they are all very close and make up a small flock so it doesn't matter what breed as long as it a goose. They love the company and companionship of their on kind.

Thank you for all your help and info.

Well I have just found someone who has some geese for sale. The off is one female or a pair (female/male) African Grey. Can you tell me if I should get the pair or just the female? I was thinking that if I got the pair the males would fight. Since I never saw that before I have no idea what's that like but I surely know its like when Dolly is not happy with me.

Appreciate any advice and really excited that I found the geese. Hope to have them in the next few days.

Charles

Thank you for all your help and info.

Well I have just found someone who has some geese for sale. The off is one female or a pair (female/male) African Grey. Can you tell me if I should get the pair or just the female? I was thinking that if I got the pair the males would fight. Since I never saw that before I have no idea what's that like but I surely know its like when Dolly is not happy with me.

Appreciate any advice and really excited that I found the geese. Hope to have them in the next few days.

Charles
If this is a pair I wouldn't think this is what your looking for for Dolly, the female is already bonded to another gander. If I was you I'd wait if I was selling them I'd want them to go as a pair. If you get the female she will be devastated to be separated from her mate but may eventually bond with Dolly. If you got the pair you'd probably still have to find a female for Dolly because this pair isn't going to like having him around.

Thank you so much. I have to think about all this. I need a goose "psychology" class. lol. The lady told me she would part with one pair or a female. I think if I had to choose I'd go with the female. Seems like the pair might be a battle between the males for the female. I have to give it a try sooner or later. I'll let you know how it works out. I think I'm going with the female. I really doo appreciate all the advice.

Charles

Thank you so much. I have to think about all this. I need a goose "psychology" class. lol. The lady told me she would part with one pair or a female. I think if I had to choose I'd go with the female. Seems like the pair might be a battle between the males for the female. I have to give it a try sooner or later. I'll let you know how it works out. I think I'm going with the female. I really doo appreciate all the advice.

Charles

So she is going to separate the pair and you get the female? or Dolly does? well don't get discouraged if it takes a while for things to get going with them. Geese form strong bonds and it will take her a while to get over her mate. Please keep us updated.

No Ma'am. She said she would either sell me a pair OR a female. Not three. I was thinking getting the female would be the best bet.

Last edited:

Finally have a female. We named her "Annee". Also changing the name of he male to "Dudley".

Annee is the one by herself, the one closest to the picture and the one in the pool. So far so good.

I had to drive two hours to get her and they said she is about 1 1/2 years old. Has not laid eggs ye they said.

Last edited:

Finally have a female. We named her "Annee". Also changing the name of he male to "Dudley".

Annee is the one by herself, the one closest to the picture and the one in the pool. So far so good.

I had to drive two hours to get her and they said she is about 1 1/2 years old. Has not laid eggs ye they said.
She's beautiful Congrats!! they will be madly in love in no time. and Dudley will never be the same. lol

Back
Top Bottom