Housing ducks and chickens

kimmik142

Hatching
Sep 15, 2016
Hello Fellow Flock raisers,
Ever sense we got our first flock back in 2012 my husband and I have been trying to improve their well being each year. We now have a decent sized flock, half and half Duck to Chickens.
Now being that I live in MIchigan where it can often get pretty wet in their pen and they stay in the pen during the day until I get home from work to let them out safely. ( Our closest neighbors are a fox, couple raccoons and a skunk nearby. I am trying to find a way to keep our water bowl in the pen from turning the WHOLE THING into a gross poopy muddy mess.
I am looking for any helpful tips or ideas, at the moment I am thinking of elevating the water bowl slightly and adding pebbles all around it. Trust me, I already am fully aware they are messy, will always get the water dirty and still need decent water access throughout the day. I just do not want my older parents slipping on the slime when trying to let the birds out.
Please I am really looking forward to hearing other Flock Raisers ideas.
Kind Regards,
Kimberly

Hi :welcome Kimberly

Glad you could join us here! Raising your water would be a great idea. I have waterers that sit on feet to keep off the ground but I don't have ducks that splash water all over. Please do check out our feeding watering your lock section, here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-amp-watering-your-flock I'm sure members there will be able to offer you more advice.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Last edited:
Nice to meet you Kimberly. I think you could get the best duck advice from folks who have them. If you put "Duck thread," in the search box , it will come up for you.

Back
Top Bottom