Housing ducks (Pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Le Mitzer, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    So recently i have been thinking about gettin two ducks a hen and a drake.....

[​IMG]

I have three chickens right now that live in a coop like this ^^ would it be ok for the ducks aswell?
    would they sleep on the buttom?

i have a run that is 30mSq, so with three chickens and two ducks would that be big enough?
    and how big should the pond be?

thanks guys......

any other tips?
    get an older duck?
    get a younger one?
    any tips on breeds?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

not up on metters would that be about 100 sq feet? if so sounds good to me. I used an old dog house and then fenced it in on all side + top and bottom.

3. superwendy4

superwendy4 New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    I have ducks and I built them a big pen made out of PVC pipe and 2x4 wire on sides and netting for the top let them swim in a small kiddie pool with a ramp inside and out my ducks have several doghouses to choose from I let them run in daytime my whole fenced in yard so they don't make.their. pen to muddy

4. Kschwartz

Kschwartz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    They will have a lot of difficulty using a ramp that steep.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I know mine would but they are muscovy, maybe a lighter duck wouldn't but it does look steep for ducks. nice coop though [​IMG]
    do you mean they will sleep under neath the coop?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  6. LemonDoodles

LemonDoodles Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Huntsville, AL
    Quote:x2
    That's the first thing I thought. I have one that is no where near that steep and my Pekins are always wiping out.

7. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Echoing the others the ramp could pose some difficulties.. ducks aren't that agile especially the drakes.. at least with the musovy i have [​IMG]

8. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    30 sq m is 322 square feet. That will be big enough for three chickens and two ducks. It's be enough for three times that many [​IMG]

I don't think that Le Mitzer wants the ducks to use the ramp - the plan is for them to use the bottom of the run (I think). Looks like everyone agrees that they would not go up the ramp and would sleep on the bottom. I would add a third side under the house to provide more shelter for the ducks (I'd take off the mesh and turn it into a solid door).

For two ducks a children's wading pool would be ideal - about 1 metre in diameter and about 20cm deep. They might need a step or a bit of timber to help them get in. A smaller, deepish container that you hang on the pen wall and that they can't climb into is also a good idea - it'll mean that there is some water in the pen that they can drink that they haven't also pooped in!

If you are going to put them straight in with your adult chickens then I'd also get fully grown ducks - something 8 weeks or older.

If your pen doesn't have a roof then I'd be getting ducks that won't fly - Rouens, Pekins, Runner, Blue Swedish, Cayugas, Welsh Harlequins, Appleyards (not bantam), Saxony (not bantam), Campbells.... If you want plenty of duck eggs then Campbells, Welsh Harlequins and Runners are all good layers. My Swedish lay pretty well too though [​IMG] What kind of ducks do you like the look of?

9. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    thanks alot guys!

and yes they will be sleeping down below

but im now questioning.....should i get ducks? or just a couple more chickens and a few quail......;
    this way i wont have to bother with the pond, because to change their water every few days, may not work here in the south of france, there is not much water to go around; and you pay by the cubic Liter......

but im not going to lie i want ducks cause they are super cute.

so for now im just going to make the coop bigger, add another storey. and when i have enough housing i will decide....

10. 70%cocoa

70%cocoa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    It is sensible to take the time to think about it before you decide. Ducks are really wonderful but they will add to your workload.

I am not sure if you can keep quail with chickens - I think that chickens can be very aggressive towards quail. Ducks and chickens should live together without any problems though, as long as the chickens have access to clean water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by