Housing for 10+ ducks.... Share pics?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I have to build new houses for all the thousand ducks i am goign to try to keep this year [​IMG]

I would love to see pictures of your Big duck houses/set ups or Housing/pens for at least 10+ ducks... I am going to try to get them into seperate breeding pens but not sure if that will really happen but so far i am back up to about 20 Msucovies again...and probably a few more as the year progresses.. [​IMG]

thanks everyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I am curious, are they going to be penned, or will they have access to a large yard? Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to keep them in a 8'x4' house. But, I let mine out at the crack of dawn into a large fenced area, and don't close them in until after the sun has set. If I was going to keep them in there for longer periods of time, on a regular basis I would double the size and add a small very well protected yard that they could go out into on their own. LOL, some mornings I wish I had done it that way just so I could be lazy! [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They will definitely have access to the field, yard and creek, just at different times if i decide to seperate them into color pens.

I did plan on having an enclosed yard attached to the house though, for any days when i might not want them out of the pen or for when i am not home and someone else is caring for them.

Thankfully mine put themselves to bed! [​IMG]

4. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    My ducks free range all day since I'm home all day. I had a little duck house that mine NEVER used unless forced to ( they always stayed in the attached pen at night and never went in the house) and I ended up giving it to my mom just last week, who converted, put shelves etc in it, to house her chickens. It looks good in her yard. Anyway...Now I just have 2 10x10 dog p pens (which I found free on craigs list) hooked together, with a "door" cut between the two, wrapped totally in hardware cloth and tarps ( I surround them in bales of straw or hay in the winter for warmth but I HAVE to totally wrap them in hardware cloth, even the top, to keep the darn black snakes out) With igloo dog houses inside for nest boxes .( some up on pallets some not) It seems to work fine. I have a smaller attached pen I made out of wood and hardware cloth for the mommas with babies, or if I want to mate particular pairs, or for newcomers, etc.. Of course, I am not particularly worried about who mates with who etc right now, but this set up is working great for me, even if it does look kind of like a hobo's shack.[​IMG]

You can't really see the whole thing in this pic, ( in the back ground)but you get the idea. I'll try to get some pics of the whole thing from the side here soon, so you can see the inside. I house alot of ducks in this big monster.
    [​IMG]

5. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Lucky hobo!!! [​IMG]

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

7. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:The back half is an insulated 8'x16' coop that has a pressure treated plywood foor. Behind the insulated portion are external 2'x4' welded wire feeding stations. The front part is a three sided 8'x16' lean-to with a dirt floor. This is currently home for 50 plus adult ducks. In the winter the insulated back half is used by the pekin layers and anyone else who wants to stay a little warmer. Meanwhile, if it is warmer than 20 below at night, the muscovies will generally hang out in the lean-to.

Sometimes we construct 4'x4' brooding stations within the back half, each having access to an outdoor feeding station. Nesting boxes are available along the wall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by