Housing for a pair of Dewlap Toulouse

Discussion in 'Geese' started by kristen2678, Dec 7, 2011.

1. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I've ordered a pair of Exhibition Dewlap Toulouse goslings from Holderreads (wooo hooo) for spring arrival. They will be free range, sharing about 3 acres of grass and a pond with a handfull of runners (and a dozen chickens). The chickens have taken over the building we were going to use for the geese, so we're back to square one.

I like these buildings I found locally on craigslist. I'm thinking loose the nest box and drop it down off the legs. Would a 4x6 work?

http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/2734535155.html

2. 3dogs

3dogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    southern CA
    In Holderread's The Book of Geese (available on his website), he recommends 7.5 to 10 square feet per goose for overnight housing. The stucture on Craig's list would get you started, but you might consider gettin something bigger now as the geese will grow into it. He also recommends a door height of at least 4' to better fit their comfort zone. For cleaning purposes, you would probably be more comfortable with something you can stand in.

I have 4 of his toulouse in a 10'x12' building. There is ample space for 2 nests, storage for feed (metal trash can to discourage rodents), etc.

Another helpful read is Holderread's pamphlet on wing disorders - again, on his website.

I think you will fall in love with the big toulouse!

3. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Wonderful, thanks. I actually have the book, which I forgot about until you mentioned it! I'm really looking forward to their arrival. In an effort to ultimately just keep a pair, I don't want to over build but...... you know how that goes. A pair becomes two pair very fast. Larger does make more sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by