Housing for ducks - dog kennel?

comp6512

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2008
Got an idea from another thread - will something like this work? This is a dog kennel picture from home depot web site.

5ed251c0-2abf-4af8-b8b0-b31c51896ae6_400.jpg

We are in Central Florida, so cold is not an issue...

i have my banty chickens in a dog run... works great...
might want to give them a little house... and a kiddie pool...

We keep our non breeder pairs and trios of call ducks and geese in four of the dog kennels. They work great. The dutch bantam chickens even fly back into them at night to roost and fly out to free range in the yard during the day. Only predators we've had problems with is skunks. They can squeeze through the chain links. We put some hardware cloth around the bottom and no more problems. Tarps on the top of two keep it dry during rainy spells. We concreted the bottoms so it is easy to spray off the mess. A kiddie pool and a feeder and they love it. We have a couple dog houses but they never get in them.

Look for a used on on Craigslist to save $$ over new retail. My chicken run is half used dog fence, half home made. And we use the swing door to partititon off the chickens when we have to clean the coop, etc. The dog runs make great bird homes!

It works great for me. We live in South Alabama. I did wrap it with chicken wire and hardware cloth for extra predator protection. Ours came from Lowes, and my son and husband had it put together in an hour.
38521_100_2898.jpg

My ducks sleep in a dog igloo at night. I got it at a garage sale for $25.
How many ducks for in the igloo? I have 3 and have a fenced in run that connects with our chicken coop, but I don’t want them houses together. Do you think the igloo with be okay for the three?

Back
Top Bottom