1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Housing For New England Ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultrypatch, Jan 3, 2010.

1. poultrypatch

poultrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    Rochester
    Hi....
    Will be ordering some ducklings shortly. I currently have chickens. Just wondering how the housing differs for ducks. They will have a lg fenced in yard and will let them out for some free time. Too many hawks and I'm not into setting up a free buffet. Oh, going to get about 15.
    Thanks for any advise or pics.
    Liz
    Rochester, MA

2. Starscream4Ever

Starscream4Ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Chubsville, Duckyland
    Well, ducks are somewhat messy, so a dirt floor would be best so that it absorbs all of their poo. Then, to prevent predators from digging, put some chicken fence around the edges of the coop. Have a nice day!

Starscream4Ever

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am building a secure night pen and house, so here are some results of my research on predator foiling.

For hawks, netting above is recommended. My secure area (I hope it will be secure, anyway) will use half inch hardware cloth on top, sides and underneath. That is because predators here include hawks, owls, raccoons, foxes, dogs, coyotes, cats (domestic and wild).

For daytime I plan to use moveable fence with netting across the top.

If you use chicken wire, it would be better to put half inch hardware cloth about three feet high around the perimeter - some predators reach through chicken wire.

Something around the perimeter to block digging under the fence is recommended - pavers, concrete trenches, buried h.w. cloth, electric fence.

Stay in touch! It seems everyone has slightly different ways to succeed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by