Housing Jumbo Coturnix?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bettacreek, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Going along with the indoor quail thing... Are jumbos ok for indoor housing? How many square feet per bird? Thanks again guys. [​IMG]
    Ohh, are they full size at 6 weeks? Thanks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  2. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    They are usually full size at 6-8 weeks. A cage that gives them half a square foot to a full square foot will do. Usually the wire for the bottom of the cage should be half inch by half inch. The males make a loud warbling sound.....so be prepared for that.
    Good Luck [​IMG]

3. mario49

mario49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Eubank KY
    sorry but im gonna ask a few Q's to how much can they eat/drink a day?

4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Are the jumbos louder than the regulars? I listened to regulars on youtube and they're pretty quiet. Is that spacing for raising them for meat or for egg production? I'd like to raise them for both (and, crazy me, the egg layers will be pets).

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I would say they are the same volume-wise. They seem twice as loud when they are in your house! [​IMG]
    I just sold 2 A&M boys that I had no females for, just for that reason. Nothing like getting woke up to a rooster crowing in the next room!

6. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    A cage that gives them half a square foot to a full square foot will do

eh, I'd say that's going by livestock/breeding rule of thumb. If Bettacreek is keeping them as pets I'd give much more room.​

7. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I have a feeling the "crow" sounds way quieter in video then in person. I have my pens about 50ft from the house and I can hear the males. And that space is just a good unviersal spacing. And as for how much they eat or drink a day....that depends on a lot.
    [​IMG]

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Hrmm. Well, the one video that I watched/listened to had budgies screeching in the background. I was comparing everything to that, lol.

9. Dill

Dill Chilling Out

Nov 10, 2008
    FL
    Quote:I think how loud a budgie is depends on the budgie. My budgies are the loudest out of all my birds (ducks, buttons, lovebirds, teils, budgies) but some of my budgies hardly ever make a peep. I like hearing the sound of them tho.

I've heard cortunix are pretty quiet, not sure about the jumbos though.

10. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Jumbos are just different in size, they are no more loud no more quiet than their smaller siblings. [​IMG] It also depends on the individual bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by