housing mutiply species close togather (ducks,geese, quail and partridge)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by itsasmallfarm, Dec 19, 2016.

1. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    hello everyone

am thinking of in the spring making a big pen cut in half (with hardware cloth in the middle cutting the pen into 2 smaller ones) but i plan on raising quail for eggs and chukkars for meat. now for my question could it be possible to house ducks on the other side of these two birds (i plan on only raising a few ducks for eggs) right beside each other. am just worried about illnesses between the two different group of birds any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. ChickenGrass

ChickenGrass Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2015
    Republic of Ireland
    I wouldn't put this into the same run,
    But if you keep them separated by a fence they hours be ok.
    Their should be no problem with disease if the birds are kept
    In good clean runs etc.
    If you do have a sick bird just take it into quarantine.
    Goodluck,
    Fionn.

3. itsasmallfarm

Oct 27, 2016
    i don't plan on putting them together per say, i mean they would be within 10 feet of each other (i live in a very hilly area and flat building space is tough to get)

but thank you :)

4. itsasmallfarm

Oct 27, 2016
    i don't plan on putting them together per say, i mean they would be within 10 feet of each other (i live in a very hilly area and flat building space is tough to get)

but thank you :)

5. ralph a

ralph a Out Of The Brooder

I have raised these same birds close together with no trouble . I fined as long as birds are clean with clean water you are good . Its when feed gets wet and dirty and water dishes are aloud to get dirty that you get in trouble

6. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2016
    Depending on the amount of birds, quail are supposedly OK for raising in cages.

It means with limited space, you can have the chukars on the ground, and quail in the elevated cages. Using vertical space is always something we can consider when having limited ground space. With ducks a few feet away, the main thing is to be sure their ground didn't get overrun with water, which may run into the space where the other birds are. There should be bedding or dirt there, of course, but for birds that don't like things wet, you'll just want to keep it as dry as possible as often as possible.

7. itsasmallfarm

Oct 27, 2016
    am looking at ordering quite a few quail as i can only get them straight run more then likely half of them will be males which will be turned into meat. i would like to have around 6-12 females for egg laying (as it takes like 5 quail eggs for one chicken egg) the chukkars would only be around for 3 months as they will all be turned into meat. also am only looking at few ducks and geese. how far should i keep them apart because each pen am looking at making is going to be around 10 by 10 for the run plus a small coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by