Housing my bachelor Muscovies with my chickens!?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katlovesaandw, Feb 1, 2011.

1. katlovesaandw

katlovesaandw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Ok, as I posted.... we got 2 Muscovies over the weekend, which after chatting with you.... turned out to be drakes.
    They have been raised with chickens and are currently in with ours.
    They are doing fine but we aka Hubby has a few questions!

We have been told that unless we seperate them OR get them a few girls of their own.... they will take out their affections on our chickens. This did happen yesterday to our Jersey Giant, poor girl!LOL

So, if we get them girl ducks and they ALL live with our chickens in same house/run..... will they then, leave the chickens alone?

Or, if we need to seperate the ducks from the chickens in seperate runs,etc. When we free-range them in the yard, will the ducks go back to their pen and chickens to theirs or will we have to constantly move birds?

We have a large enough lot to make seperate pens for them and once in the yard for free-range... they seem to all go their seperate ways. That isnt the issue, it is more -will they learn to go into seperate pens OR do we even have to seperate them?

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

DO NOT let the ducks mate the chickens!!!! They can SERIOUSLY injure them!!! Ducks have way different reproductive organs than chickens. It can kill them!

3. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I house some of mine together and it seems like the drakes will leave the chickens alone as long as they have ducks. Roosters aren't so picky - they'll try to mate with ducks until the drakes 'teach' them not to. Once they settle in, they do well together.

4. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    I broke it up yesterday! Not to mention, he was totally clueless about it.

Cool, I will let hubby know that we need to seperate them if they are to remain bachelors OR we keep them with the chickens and get them some girls.

If we seperate them into a pen of their own, will they soon learn to go back into THEIR pen at night after free ranging?

5. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    My chickens have always put themselves up. I don't think my ducks have ever done so. They would prefer to stay out all night and will forage at night if allowed.

I've not had THAT many ducks though, but IME chickens go to coop well, waterfowl would rather not. I've always had to put up ducks and geese, though I currently do that by tossing in a handful of pelleted feed and they know the routine so they go in.

6. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    I think maybe I didn't answer your REAL question though. Yes, mine know which coop is theirs.

You just have to make them WANT to go in and train them if you don't want to herd them every night. [​IMG]

7. katlovesaandw

Apr 1, 2008
    Oregon
    We got them Sat. morning and they were out in the yard with the chickens that afternoon and went into pen at dusk without assistance, which thrilled us.
    Did it again on Sunday and Monday afternoon, so they are quick learners!

We just need to decide I guess HOW involved in having ducks we want to get.

Do ducks lay eggs daily like a chicken?
    We do not want to raise baby ducks, we want eggs.

So I want to know that if we get these boys some girls..... will we get eggs daily or every other day OR do they just lay a clutch a couple times a year?

This will influence our decision on getting them girls.

8. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    I got my Muscovy duck and two of her duckling daughters in June. The mother didn't lay until late July. She'd lay 12 0r 14 eggs (which I collected for eating since no male, so no hatching) and then she'd go a week or two and then lay 12-14 again, I'd collect daily, repeat. She stopped in November and hasn't laid since. I'm in the northern quarter of Illinois so days are short and cold. I got a young drake (born in Sept) in Dec but no one is laying at this time, thank goodness!! I would suggest Khaki Campbells, Runners, or another egg layer type if what you want are eggs. They are noisier than Muscovy but are known to be more prolific egg layers. I would not keep drakes with chickens if they don't have any ducks with them, they can and will injure your hens trying to breed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by