housing pigeons or doves under rabbit cages? and a few other questions

missy_cbell21

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
maysville, nc
I am just starting to look into having either pigeons or doves and the only way we would have enough space is if we make a "run/fly" area under our rabbit cages. What I am wondering is if there is any reason not to? Will the birds enjoy this the way chickens do or will they just ignore the dropped hay and rabbit poo? How much space do pigeons need per pair? Can I use a rabbit hutch to house them in? It is 2' by 3' long and 24" tall, it has a wire bottom which is what I'm not sure about. I plan on making a pop door and a run under this cage and the area around it that would be about 5' by 6'. I can only make the fly area 3' tall so the neighbors will not see them over the fence. I am looking at a trio of pigeons and the lady selling them said that both females are on eggs now. I was thinking that they mate in pairs so is one of them not fertile or is he hiding something? lol If I do decide to get them when would be safe to move them? I would hate for them to loose the babies.
Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Sounds like you may have green pigeons or doves keeping them under rabbits.
gig.gif

Quote:
green? You mean from being peed/pooped on? I was thinking about that and I'm not sure if the pigeons would know to stay out of the poo corner? most of the rabbits use the same corner all the time. The poo is solid and the pee is yellow...

Quote:
I was not wanting to house the birds under the rabbits, just give them the choice to run under there and scrape out the hay, dropped grain, bugs and other "hidden treasures" like chickens like to do. Chickens love digging through rabbit manure... As far as the ammonia, I give the rabbits hay on their floor all day/night and they have grass under the cages so there is not much ammonia.

Thanks for the replies everyone but can anyone recommend a site to find the space needs for doves or have an answer to that?

Back
Top Bottom