Housing pigs & other ques.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MyPerfectChicken, Sep 27, 2007.

1. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    What would you use to house pigs?? [​IMG]

(Be warned, I can and will come up with more questions!)

2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I am not really a pig expert, so I am gonna go by the set up Freebie's husband has. He have his sow and her litter in a converted horse stall in the barn, with a entryway to an outdoor pen. Some people have them in a outdoor pen with one of those pig shelters(a metal cover). Your outdoor enclosure fencing should be pretty strong as pigs can get out if it isn't. If a pig has access to the outdoors they won't foul their indoor bedding. They will root up any outdoor area pretty quick too. In hot weather it is very important to have a mudhole for them as pigs can't sweat. Pigs can drink out of a pig waterer or as I call them giant hamster bottles lol.

3. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    My friends hog pen is just t-posts and cattle panel and it has held up to feral hogs craziness for years. It only took a few hours to set up and was very affordable. You can pretty much make it any size or shape you want. Just stick some sort of shelter in there and they are set. He has a low spot dug out that he fills with water everyday for them to lay in.

It has held up to these goofy pigs for many years, I'm sure it would be just fine for some domestic pigs.
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y2...ing Dec 2006/?action=view&current=LinPigs.jpg
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/texasgirl005/Shooting Dec 2006/?action=view&current=Girls.jpg
    http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y2... Dec 2006/?action=view&current=Girls2Good.jpg

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You can house pigs in just about anything. It's the strength of the pen that matters. We built a nice movable ark for our piggies. Naturally, they slept outside under the stars and weren't too bothered. They just went in there when it rained.

5. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    Quote:What breed of pigs are those.. I havent ever seen those kind around here.. are they that small full grown??

6. texasgirl

texasgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    South Texas
    Quote:What breed of pigs are those.. I havent ever seen those kind around here.. are they that small full grown??

They are feral hogs, boars average 300-400lbs and sows 200-300lbs. They are a common pest in the south. He hunts and traps them and keeps a few in the pen at home to breed and slaughter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_pig

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  7. chrissum

chrissum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    NWMO USA
    I returned after several years away and in my area (Missouri) most hog farms have folded due to mega hog farms sprouting up. I went around to several of the farmers who had before raised hogs and got a couple decent quonset huts, not real pretty but in fair shape and at a really good price. I have also looked at dozens of old hog feeders and waterers but all have been rusted through. most hog equipment is sitting in old hog lots wasting away so you might try to find something this way if possible.

8. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    My friends hog pen is just t-posts and cattle panel and it has held up to feral hogs craziness for years. It only took a few hours to set up and was very affordable. You can pretty much make it any size or shape you want. Just stick some sort of shelter in there and they are set. He has a low spot dug out that he fills with water everyday for them to lay in.

That is what we have also... but we also have elec. fence running around another section. Both seem to work very well. At times there are problems with the elec fence... our boar likes to at times go for a walk and come up to the house to visit... so he pushes the fence til he gets out. Personally I would use only the cattle panel and be sure to cement it into the ground, another thing.. be sure to make it big enough! and if you intend on breeding... you need to make sure your sow has a "safe" place away from the boar.
    Good luck...​

9. MyPerfectChicken

MyPerfectChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    PA
    Ok... cause I was thinking of doing 4-H with them... and they'll eat just about anything right?

Is there anything they should not eat?

Would it be better to build or buy a pen?

How much do they generaly cost per yr/half yr??

10. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    One of our sons also got the pigs for 4-H

Yes, they will eat anything and everything... including things you dont want them to eat if you do not have them pinned up!!!!

No... there is nothing they cant not have!!!

No... you cant buy a pen for them... you do have to make one for them.... 4x4 posts and hog/cattle pannels... you can also use t-post to go inbetween the 4x4 posts. If you want I can take a pic of our set up... just let me know....

Be sure you do your homework and know what square footage is needed for each pig!!!

1/2 year... you are looking at about 100.00 in feed per pig. The bulk of your cost is the pen, feeder, water trough.

IF you buy one as a baby... they usually run about 40 to 60 dollars depending on where you are!!!!

Feel free to email me... or keep asking questions on here.... We will be more than help you and answer any questions!!!!

DH just told me to warn you about one thing..... IF you intend on breeding.... it takes approximately 2 years from birth!

Good luck..... Tes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by