Housing quail in a former chicken hutch

Discussion in 'Quail' started by hac1224, Aug 2, 2010.

1. hac1224

hac1224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Lincolnton, NC
    We just aquired two hutches that we're planning to use for coturnix quail but the former owner used them for bantam chickens. It's been several years since he had anything in them, but there are still some droppings and straw mixture that need to be cleaned out. After cleaning them out, should I spray the insides with bleach to kill off any chicken diseases or is that even necessary? Also, since these cages are solid bottoms, will it be okay to use pine shavings as bedding for quail like I would for chickens? I'm thinking deep litter method on a smaller scale.

2. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    their feet will be alot poopier with the bedding then on wire good luck with that.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I have some coturnix in rabbit hutches/chicken coop and I do not recommend keeping the bedding all over because that will be a messy mayhem.

What I do is put kitty litter trays filled with shavings and put in the corner of the hutches. My coturnix love it! THey will lay eggs in it and the eggs stay clean.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Yes To Be Safe Spray Them Down With Bleach Water And Allow To Completely Air Dry. This Should Disinfect And Sanitize The Pens.

5. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  6. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I would spray it down I'm just that way you never know. my cages have rabbit wire on bottom and chicken wire on the sides that's how the guy made them. I prefer rabbit wire all around but I keep hat on bottom have 5 hens and 2 roos. but I have to keep something we started trading with a guy few years back we moved to AK stayed 2 years came back. I sent my dh to his house to get some quail the guy was broke and said ill give you my breeders for for 20.00 when hey got home I had there cage ready I put them in and noticed one was stuck in wire I was like [email protected] his leg went threw ? worse long story short his feet were caked in poo and on each toe it looked like a round dog food I had him in the sink for an hr washing his feet went and looked at the others and some of there toes were off all the way to where they have one joint left I was so ticked how can you treat animals like this. so its eased for them to walk on hay. they get around fine eat and drink and seem happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by