1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Housing Quail with Chickens?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by GoPups, May 22, 2007.

1. GoPups

GoPups Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    I've recently fallen in love with some Bobwhite Quail, and I'm seriously thinking about getting some. Is it possible to keep two or three of them in a pen with 5 or so hens? Pen will be of adequate size and height, so I'm only wondering how the two different species would do together. Has anyone ever done this? Please speak up! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    I've read its not a good idea. you have to have a compleatly fenced in area. and they startle alot (mine are 4 weeks and if i even pop my head over then brooder they all start flying around LOL. They like to escape as well. you might try this board and ask the same question. (not that BYC isn't good enough you just may get more answers.) C
    http://www.thatquailplace.com/index.htm

P.s. I adore my bob white babies. they are the sweetest (although a little flighty) things I've had ours since day old and I loved listening to their sweet singing. not peeps but songs.

Last edited: May 22, 2007
  3. jewels4710

jewels4710 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2015
    Ohio
    Thank you for the site. I will check it out.

4. kyzerc

kyzerc Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2015
    I used to do it when I was 16,but I read that you cant keep them together because chickens carry a lot diseases.When I did it I had them in separate cages next to each other

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by