Housing question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by epona4, Oct 22, 2008.

1. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I spent much of last night reading threads on owning multiple types of poultry.

I would like to have chickens, a few ducks and a couple of geese. Have decided that if I do this I won't put them in the same coop. However, I was wondering, can they be in the same barn? I am building my coop in our old corn crip (turned into a "barn"). Could I build a separate coop for the ducks and another space for the geese? Or would that still be in too close proximity?

The barn is about 24x35-40ft. The chicken coop is being built in the SE corner of the barn. I could build on in the SW corner and another across the isle. There'd be several feet separating each coop.

Thanks for any and all advice!
    b

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I think that would work just fine. My chickens and ducks are separated, but their runs are right next to each other.

3. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Id think that would work well for you, thats your best bet, as ducks and geese would make one heck of mess for chickens..they are a bit sloppy as im sure many on here could tell you how they like to make a mess of the feeders and waters..slopping slpping and more slopping.. [​IMG]

Charlie

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  4. epona4

epona4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Central Indiana
    they are a bit sloppy as im sure many on here could tell you how they like to make a mess of the feeders and waters..slopping slpping and more slopping..

So does this mean that the deep litter method doesn't work so well for ducks?

Also, what is the nesting box to duck ratio? (or do they even use boxes?) I've started reading Storey's book on ducks...so I'm sure it has that info in there. I just like "talking" to folks!

I'm anxious to go to the Ohio National show so I can talk to folks in the sales barns. I'm sorta afraid to approach people because I know that some farmers just get annoyed with the "wannabes". [​IMG]

thanks again,
    b​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by