1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Housing Roosters and Hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Haljov2, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Haljov2

Haljov2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2016
    I have six pet chickens that are almost a year old. I bought them as chicks last year. I ended up with three roosters and three hens. They have always been housed together without any problems. Recently I have noticed that two of the hens are loosing feathers on their backs. After doing some research online, I learned that they they are probably over mating. These are the first chickens that I ever owned and i did not know that this could happen. We are in the process of building a new coop for the roosters and I got saddles for the hens. If I house them separately, can they still interact in the yard or do I have to keep them completely separated?

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    The roosters will mate with them in the yard, and may start fighting among themselves. You would be better to keep them seperate. But the saddles will help.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by