Housing roosters together

wjallen05

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
North Georgia
We are in the process of building a big chicken coop and run. I want to keep all the hens in it, and then make a separate pen for the boys. Will they get along okay? Also, can I mix bantams and standards together? This goes for both hens and roosters.
Thanks!

My roosters are fine together as long as there are no hens involved. I do have a Big Light Brahma roo that everybody picks on so he lives elsewhere for his own protection.

Hope I have answered your question.

I have an 12 x 24 ft pen for the roosters...then I built out from the roo pen...a large pen 24 x 40 ft pen for the hens....then inside the roo's pen, we put up a small 8 x 8 pen, that I can put the hens in with their roo mate (to keep breeds pure). I also have 2 tom turkeys in with the roos. Everyone gets along just great. I did have 1 roo BO that was sooooo mean, he found himself swimming in a pot of dumplings.

I will post a pic or 2 for you so you can see

41045_runsbreedpen.jpg

41045_roosterandbreedingpen.jpg

just a quick edit to this...we used poultry netting on the breeding pen (8x8) and the on most of the hens pen. the wire you see in the photo is not chicken wire. chicken wire is about 40 dollars for a 50 ft roll. We bought stucco netting which is just a bit lighter than chicken wire and comes in 150 ft rolls and is only 34.00 for the roll at home depot.

Last edited:
Wow, neat pen! Thanks for sharing.

Here are the roosters that I was planning on housing together:

Rhode Island Red
Leghorn
Ameraucana
2 Silkies

I have an OEGB roo but I think he'll be able to get out of the fence so I'll prob but him and his mate (our beloved hen) together with the big girls. There will be PLENTY of room and I hope they'll all get along alright.

Back
Top Bottom