Housing Roosters???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MakNat, Nov 13, 2009.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    I've got around 35 hens of various breds. Leghorns, bramas, bantams, americuanas. Sorry for the spelling!! And I have 7 GORGEOUS Roosters One of every breed mentioned before and my Beautiful Cochin boy and his son an even more feather footed cochin. Blah.. Whatever I love them all and want to switch them out for breeding in the spring. OK heres the question. The only place I got to put some of them is a 10 x 10 hog house, it has a roost, wood floor, great roof, mostly board sides with ratt wire, no nothing can get in there, raised babies in there over the summer, not much sun light and no way to let them outside. Of course I Will change the bedding as needed. Do you think that would be ok for 4 or five of the roos to live for a while. Just for 3 or 4 weeks at a time so I can get different breeds going. I plan to incubate over the winter. There is no electric down there. But was thinking of getting a solar powered light for heat. My big coop doesn't have a light or anything and they do fine. Maybe I'm just paranoid, I do love my boys.. They pretty much do 'ok' all loose, but the main Cochin roo is the only one who gets to breed and all the youngsters will gang up on one hen and get nothing done. Haha Just looking for some advice! Maybe I'm crazy, but thanks anyway!!

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure but...I think if there is an abscence of females....they might not pick on each other. I have 5 standard roos ( a bunch of little bantam roos too) and they have their pecking order figured out. They free range and that helps. They even sleep in the sasme coop at night BUT....I am thinking of throwing them out every morning this winter and keeping the hens in the coop and run. I might even encourage the roos to start roosting in one of the other barns. I know it gets cold here sometimes but I think if you keep them dry and out of drafts they'll do OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by