Housing small flock of Ancona Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by carolynm, Aug 4, 2013.

1. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    I am building a structure to house my bantam chickens, ancona ducks,and sheep. I plan on having a greenhouse structure on one side where the chicken, duck and greenhouse will be and then the other side will be a sheep shed.

How much space should I allow for about 10 ancona ducks? I plan on having a house, pen and then a yard. They will be closed in the house/pen at night time and will have access to the yard during the day. My chickens will be in a separate space.

I've seen about 3-5 square foot per ducks but that would only be 30-50 square feet for the bunch-does that sound about right? Would a pen of 5x10 be about right if they go out in a yard during the day?

2. ducklover87

ducklover87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    It depends. What's or weather going to be like come winter? I'm on a tablet so I can't see where your from. But if they are ever going to be inside for longer than just overnight then go with more space. I'd go with 6 sq ft and if you get bad winter weather than I'd go with 9 sq ft.

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I'd do at least 10X10 for the pen. ducks can get rather grumpy when all grouped tightly. Weather does play a role as mentioned, for us we can have horrible days where no one goes out, so housing has to accommodate that.

4. carolynm

carolynm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Bailey, CO
    Rotten winter days are not too worrisome-as that's part of the reason I plan on having their pen as part of the greenhouse-they can go romp in there most of the winter (I don't plan on heating the greenhouse so there won't be anything for them to mow down). I want a door on one end where they can go into an outside yard, and on the other I'd like to put door I can raise or lower to low them access to the greenhouse.

I think I may make a couple pens on one end of the greenhouse so that I can separate ducks as needed. What would efficient size pens be to allow separation? I plan on keeping about 5 or 6 hen ducks and then 1 or 2 drakes (I only really need one drake but would like a backup in case something were to happen to him). I also have 3 call ducks that need to be accomodated in the plan (though they are with chickens now and might just stay with them).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by