Housing young chicks with older chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Weber Girls, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Weber Girls

Weber Girls Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    I want to know if it is okay to place younger chicks with chicks that are a few weeks older. For example, would it be okay to put chicks that are a few days old (2-3 days) with chicks that are about 2 weeks old? Would the older chicks be likely to pick on the younger ones?

2. 1876 Farm

1876 Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Take a look at their size difference.... If the younger chicks are significantly smaller than the older ones then I wouldn't put them together until they are closer in size. The younger chicks would more likely be run over by the older chicks. The younger chicks aren't as agile as the older ones and won't be able to move quick enough to get out of their way.

3. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Last year, I thought maybe I would be able to put some three day olds with some that were about 3 1/2 weeks old... it didn't work. The older ones picked on the new younger ones and I had to separate them. The older ones didn't physically hurt the younger ones (they weren't in there long enough for that to happen) but they did manage to stress the poor little ones quite a bit. I would imagine this would not be good for their growth or for their already fragile immune systems. I would think too that the bigger ones would run over and sooner or later squash the little ones.

If the size difference is not too much, then it probably could work. I have seen this done with chicks in their bins at the feed stores. The trick is that they can't be too much older, i.e. too much bigger. Sorry, I can't remember how big 2 week old chicks are.. its possible they might get along ok, then again it might not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by