Housing

Caremare10

Hatching
Nov 29, 2022
I have 3 female and 2 male , 5 week old quails. Right now they are all together in one cage, but I would like to separate them into two.. what would be my best way to separate them? One male and two females.? And the other male with one female? I do not want to have babies, but just eggs.
Or all females together, and two males together. I do not want to cull any.

I'd opt for 1male, 2 females in one cage and 1 male, 1 female in another. Two males together will constantly crow in the near presence of females and will be agitated trying to get to the females.

You may have to try different combinations of birds, or even "reset" them by pulling them all out and trying again until they find their happy mix. If you're lucky, they'll be content throughout. If they change their minds sometime later, that's also normal.

If you're set on keeping all of them, I would keep the hens in one cage and the roos in another. Make sure the males can't see or hear the females.

The males may still fight, but you don't have enough hens for the roos.

So many differing opinions. But thanks.
That's because there are so many different ways of raising quail, ( ground aviaries, wire floor cages, transformed rabbit cages, etc) and everyone does what works best for them...but by asking questions you can take what you want from what you hear or read and incorporate it into you're own situation.

That's because there are so many different ways of raising quail, ( ground aviaries, wire floor cages, transformed rabbit cages, etc) and everyone does what works best for them...but by asking questions you can take what you want from what you hear or read and incorporate it into you're own situation.
Thanks. I appreciate all of the input.

Back
Top Bottom