• The runt

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
I know I haven't made posts about the daily goings of my hedgehog breeding operation public. (It seems hyperactive and attention seeking to me). But I would love to include all of you in what, so far, is my happiest day to date.

Nala birthed three gorgeous, beautiful baby hoglets last night. To anyone else, they would be hideous, but they were some of the most beautiful little creatures I've ever seen. She might have had more, but I'm keeping the noise and disturbances down to a minimum. This was a *very* unexpected litter. She showed no signs, gained no weight, and never went off her feed (even 4 hours before she birthed, she was eating). So, while they might not survive, I have been a part of the amazing circle of life.

Not even a week ago, I had to make the heartbreaking decision to sell her. All small scale breeders know the awful reality of limited space, and as much as I wanted to keep my baby girl, we simply don't have enough room for a non-producer. While I don't look forward to the house renovations to get more space, I'm so unbelievably happy that my baby will be staying home.

It has been a 3 year long struggle to produce my first tangible babies. Yes, this is the first litter that I have actually seen
smile.png
But I know every bit of experience I have gained along the way has been, and will be, a valuable asset to my future breedings. From my first hog who died of cancer, my second who passed of WHS, all the breeding problems in between, to the new hogs I will be picking up 2 days time, to the babies in the next room, I'm now eternally thankful for the heartbreaking things I've been through and waiting game that has played out.

I'll continue to update this thread as things progress!

PS - You guys totally missed out. Seeing Nala with babies cuddled next to her was a total squee!
love.gif

ETA 1/26: 20 days after birth, they were handled for the first time. See the pictures on page 4!

Last edited:
Thanks guys
smile.png

I think she might be rejecting one of the hoglets, but I'm not sure. I'm working on trying to make sure the little guy stays fairly warm until she notices or gives me a definitive answer. Bumped up the temperature in there, and put him in the hut. Due to the surprise nature of the birth it was in a sleeping bag - definitely NOT my first choice. We'll see how it pans out.

You're welcome
smile.png

Well guys, I said no pictures but I couldn't resist snapping this with the phone when I transferred the little explorer back into his bag with momma and siblings just a few minutes ago. This hoglet is <1 day old. Something you definitely don't see every day! I actually wish they were all in the hut and I didn't have to see him, but I won't look a gifthorse in the mouth. They are born completely hairless, with their eyes and ears closed, no pigment to the skin or quills (although, he does have some pigment coming in on his back).

12583_hoglet.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
Yep, that's a large tablespoon. Talk about a big healthy baby!

I'm not sure, honestly - I've never seen a pinky. The spoon is 2 1/2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom