Houston with new chicks & quail chicks

SweetT

Hatching
Feb 16, 2016
Suburban Houston
I have three 5-6 week old pullets: 2 Ameraucana and one Rhode Island Red
And 2 <1 week old chicks: 1 Speckled Sussex and 1 Silver Spangled Hamburg.

I also have eight 4-6 week old quails.

It is expressly illegal in Houston to own chickens or any birds except about 6 breed exceptions given in the law (macaws, finches, etc). So I'm an outlaw. :(

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! What a lovely mixed flock you have there :D I once hatched and raised some quail and they were fab little birds to keep.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your flick in the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

welcome-byc.gif

I hope you don't run into trouble with the neighbors or city officials having the chickens and quail.

Good luck to you!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Just be aware you're running a big risk (especially in a city like Houston). I hope for your sake it doesn't happen, but it's very likely just a matter of time before some neighbor reports you and you will be forced to give up your birds. :eek:( Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in keeping your flock.

Hi and welcome to BYC. You are not the first clandestine chicken outlaw here on BYC. Personally, I'd advise dressing your chickens up in camouflage gear - it may prolong your ownership!
smile.png

All the best
CT

Last edited:
Please have a plan B at the ready. There is always at least one neighbor who feels it is their sole purpose in life to turn others into the police or animal control.

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm so obsessed with my pet birds it's nice to have virtual company.

I just moved to Houston and I didn't know it was illegal until I already bought chicks. I used to own chickens in Oregon and here seems so "country" I am surprised and dismayed it's illegal. Why would such an innocent and beneficial pet be outlawed??? It's madness. I live on the very edge of city limits and its suburban but bordering rural areas.

Luckily (unluckily?) We are renting so if I can make it 11 months here with my hens, we will buy a bouse outside of city limits and be worry free. I am already researching the most chicken-friendly cities nearby. I'm not sure how to find out what the rules are if you don't live in any city limits. Anyone know?

Plan B: I could always give my hens back to the chicken seller/farm that I bought them from. She may give them back- or at least give me a deal on new ones after I move.

But everyone please pray/visualize/send me good energy that my hens and I will live peacefully unadulterated for now!

Thanks for the welcomes. I'm so obsessed with my pet birds it's nice to have virtual company.

I just moved to Houston and I didn't know it was illegal until I already bought chicks. I used to own chickens in Oregon and here seems so "country" I am surprised and dismayed it's illegal. Why would such an innocent and beneficial pet be outlawed??? It's madness. I live on the very edge of city limits and its suburban but bordering rural areas.

Luckily (unluckily?) We are renting so if I can make it 11 months here with my hens, we will buy a bouse outside of city limits and be worry free. I am already researching the most chicken-friendly cities nearby. I'm not sure how to find out what the rules are if you don't live in any city limits. Anyone know?

Plan B: I could always give my hens back to the chicken seller/farm that I bought them from. She may give them back- or at least give me a deal on new ones after I move.

But everyone please pray/visualize/send me good energy that my hens and I will live peacefully unadulterated for now!

This article from the Learning Center may help you find out the rules (check the database and/or ask on the forum linked in the article):
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-laws-and-ordinances-and-how-to-change-them

I hope you'll be ok until you can move!

You're welcome. You can always check with your city hall. Someone there should be able to tell you whether or not chickens are allowed in your area. Good luck. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom