Hova 1602 at 103.1 and can't get it lower

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fluffy-Butt-Farms, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Fluffy-Butt-Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    ok, i think it has to do a little with the heat wave in florida, the room is about 90 degrees, but i cannot get this bator down past 103.1. it's the first hatch in it, and i lockdown tomorrow due to a very jumpy egg starting to make me nervous. (real lockdown is monday early early morning).

i candled everyone i could see in, and they are all alive and kicking.... do i just leave it since it's so close to done? it started rising up yesterday, and this is where its staying

2. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I'd open the bator. That high a temp for a long period of time will kill them even at this stage. You could try opening it and putting in a bowl of cold water and watch to see if that helps bring it down. How about unplugging it after opening it to let heat out? Just watch to make sure it doesn't go too low. Good luck! T

3. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    well, i turned it off. gonna let it get down a bit to about 100, then kick it back on again and see where it settles itself.

4. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    could it be your thermometer? my last hatch i couldnt get it high enough. 1602 bator. i blamed the thermometer. now i am playing with the egg-o-meter from incubator wharehouse. i am trying to get it adusted temp wise. and having trouble doing that

5. Fluffy-Butt-Farms

Aug 4, 2009
    Central Florida
    i have 3 thermometers in there, the one that came with the hova, a 1 dollar one, and the hygro combo.

the hova one tells me it's just over 102, we wont discuss the 1 dollar one that thinks it's about 108, and then the hygro that says it's about, well, anywhere in the 103 range....so ive decided for this batch, i'm just keeping my fingers crossed..

about to go in, candle everyone, and lockdown, and then i'm buying the one that speckled has. for the amount of money i'm spending on hygro's...i'd rather just spend the 30 dollars.

6. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Actually I started using the cheap therm that comes with the LG. I calibrate it with a accurate digital medical thermometer. I then write the temp difference on the clear plastic that the therm is stapled to so I know exactly where I need to be. Another option is to use a good meat thermometer that can be calibrated. If you cannot find one in a store watch for a MAC tool truck they have them. They are calibrated by putting them in a glass of ice water and then adjusting the temp. To read the temp insert the meat therm in a vent hole. I also used a digital in a plastic Easter egg filled with sand. But I have such good hatches with the LG therms I just use those anymore.

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

well, this is not a joke and i'm not try to kidding,

i believe the temp will lower when it lost power. just unplug it from electric source and keep them low enough and plug in again and watch it, if still not work, just open some vents, it will reduce the temp, try to find the balance. [​IMG]

8. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just looked at the Hova 1602 and it has a wafer stat, check the micro switch to be sure it is not stuck. If you have backed out the adjusting rod all the way it has to be that switch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by