Hova Bator 1588 ordered what else do I need

SusanJoM

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
So, The Hova Bator has been ordered (with turner), and I am soooooo excited. I am doing my best NOT to order any eggs until it has actually arrived.

But, what else will I need? Do I need another thermometer? hygrometer?

Something else?

Susan

Okay, that's just what I wanted to know.
I don't have one, so I will get one.

Since the 1588 (Genesis) comes so well recommended, I couldn't quite tell if I was still going to need separate tools for checking on the temp and humidity.

Thanks
Susan

My first hatch was last month. All I had was a Little Giant 9200 and the turner. All I did was read and followed the instructions.

Things needed as a beginner:
Place in low travel area (closet works good)
Patients... LOTS

Sleeping pills after day 20....
old.gif
It gets rough the last 48 hours!
lau.gif

I have the 1588 and love it. I still recommend having a good thermometer and hygrometer. I had to adjust mine down to the lowest setting (which is rare to have to do) as my temps were staying a degree or two too high at first. Since making the adjustment a little over a year ago all my hatches are right on time and the temp stays between 99.5 and 100.00. Humidity is something you must monitor no matter what incubator you have so a good hygrometer is important.

Richard

Quote:
This is true! Because the 1588 doesn't require all the constant fidgeting other models may need, and I have the auto turner, I can pretty much forget about the eggs except for adding water a few times during the process. Three weeks now fly by. I always think I am doing well, not allowing myself to get obsessed.....until day 19 rolls around. As soon as I see that first pip or hear the first peep it is like it's my first hatch all over again!
big_smile.png
You can reduce the incubation and hatching process down to basic physiology and biology striving for the best hatches but when hatching time comes it never losses it's magic.

Richard

A good candling device is important... I use a good small mag. flashlight and make sure your room is very dark... Have fun!!...

Well, you all won't be surprised that I ordered my incubator on Tuesday and today I won my first batch of eggs (red brown Ameraucanas.....I hope) on eBay and so I can start worrying NOW: Will the incubator be here on time???? Aargh....

I got a thermometer/hygrometer at Wal-Mart yesterday; I have a Mini-Maglight; patience?.....oh dear....I've been looking for a source for that for a long long time -- without luck as you might gather.

By the way, MaranGuy, I've got a trio of cuckoos in the brooder -- a male and two females -- from a local source. I'm really excited about seeing them grow up. I've only ever had EE's before, so this time I'm branching out.

Susan

Back
Top Bottom