hova-bator 1602N VS brinsea eco mini VS mini chick bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by waw, Dec 6, 2011.

1. waw

waw Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2011
    Mississippi
    [​IMG] i am thinking of getting one of these please help me decide
    please help your opinion is much appreciated

2. LegginMF12

LegginMF12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Yucca Valley
    I can't really give you a comparison. But I have set eggs twice so far in a Hova-bator 1602N. The first time was a fail. I had a faulty thermometer that was off by almost 2 degrees. I also set my eggs at 99.5 degrees when it should have been 102 because the 1602n is a still air. Add that tot he fact that my thermometer was reading almost 2 degrees to high and all of my eggs died by day 8. My second attempt ever I set 9 eggs in the Hovabator 1602n and had a 100% hatch! I am getting a Brinsea Eco 20 any day now (it's in route as we speak). I am dying to try a another hatch in it. So, all in all, I am very happy with the Hovabator. Hope this helps.

3. jesus freak

jesus freak Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2011
    Idaho
    I have the hova-bator 1602n and it works great for me [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  4. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two Brinsea mini advanced and like them very much. You set it, forget it and (if set correctly) the eggs stopped being turned three days prior to hatching.

Their only downside is that the only hold 7 eggs (although one can get a second ring for smaller bantam eggs) which is why I have two of these.

Gail

5. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    Brinsea mini all the way!![​IMG]

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it often comes down to how many eggs you think you'll be hatching at one time and whether you'd feel more comfortable spending money on an incubator made of styrofoam (which can be a good insulator) or hard plastic.

Gail

7. aceschix

aceschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    New Hampshire
    The biggest challenge with the 1602 is getting it set right. If you can set it up and really do the tiny adjustments to get it RIGHT where you want it before getting eggs then go for it.

They are great once you get it worked out.

8. Sliprock

Sliprock Lazy L Farm

Dec 3, 2011
    Dublin, GA
    I have a Hova 1602N.
    Installed a computer fan to circulate air. Temp control was pretty easy and steady...Humidity was rough...especially during lock down. Not blaming equipment, more than likely the operator...but we hatched 5 batches this year. had one batch that only one egg hatched, one batch where they all hatched...and the others were probably 40-50% hatch rate.
    All these were ebay eggs, as well as our first year hatching eggs. I will be purchasing a new bator this winter for better humidity control. Again...not running the Hova down, just was really rough getting humidity in the range I was wanting.

We have several new coops built and a 4' by 9' brooder with the ability to have 4 separate stalls... have a few projects for next year I want to work on and need a bigger incubator anyway.

Cant comment on the other

Not sure that helped you at all...lol but thats my 1602N experience.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I am very happy to see this thread, as my 1602N just arrived in the mail today! I can barely keep myself from just going home early to inspect it.

I did want to ask, for all of you who have used this still air model, what kind of temps and humidity levels did you maintain throughout the hatch?

Does having a still air model mean that you have to turn the eggs more often and/or give them any special treatment? Thanks for any tips and suggestions, I'll be posting the directions that I will get in it's manual and see if the experts here think it is sound instructions.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  10. Sliprock

Sliprock Lazy L Farm

Dec 3, 2011
    Dublin, GA
    I would say the fan helps keep temps the same all over the incubator...I bought a cheap fan Like those in a computer case and installed it with four bolts in prolly 10 minutes just to be safe.
    Temp was no problem...
    Humidity.... I failed and have yet to get it right. I wrapped in a towel during lockdown and all different things. But.. My buddy who recommended it...lives 5 minutes from here and has great hatch rates.

I used a remote Temp/Humidity sensor, could have been it wasnt reading right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by