Hova Bator 1602N

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by robnms, Oct 25, 2010.

1. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I bought the Hova Bator 1602N with the automatic egg turner but it's not forced air, should I install a fan or will it work with good results the way it is? This is the sales pitch:

Radiant heat tube gently warms inside of the incubator, air and eggs. Thermal action of heated air flowing out of the exhaust vents in the top of the incubator, draws fresh air in through the bottom vent. This thermal air flow also assists the drying of the chicks after they hatch.

2. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    It Will Work Without The Fan But It Works Much Better With The Fan!!!

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

If your house never changed temp ever then it will work fine with no fan but otherwise put a fan in it. Here read this: http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

4. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    I have a 1602 N with 24 eggs in it and another in the mail. I plugged mine in almost 2 weeks before getting my eggs and I added a fan I just bought one off of ebay for like 5$ apparently none of the places that should have had a fan had any. The fan keeps the temperatures a lot more stable. I've yet to get my incubator to 99.5 so it stays at 99.1 and I added an egg turner which if you do add one do it before the eggs the motor will bring the temp up atleast on mine it did so I had to adjust that too but I don't think they're such a bad incubator I like mine.

5. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    I just threw away my hova bator.... It was junk

6. robnms

robnms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Gulf Coast MS
    I'm new to the chicken growing/hatching scene and I've been reading this forum for info and leaned too much to mention but it seems when people ask about "which incubator is best" you get different answers. I think from what I read, it all depends on the stable temp in the room you use in your home and the humidity in your area of the country. I'll add a fan as soon as the bator gets here. Does anyone have experience installing a fan? I don't have time to order a fan kit so I'll get a computer fan and install it myself. I'll check out the Hover Bator website and see if it has instructions and go from there. I'm thinking I'll have to build one so I can add all of the comforts of high tech pieces to monitor and control temp and humidity. I have friends that raise quail for a living and hatch over 1000 eggs a week and he made all of his incubators but he goes to the extreme, they look like a custom gun cabinet. I talked to him today about building one and he said he orders all his parts from gqf. That might be a winter project!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by