Hova-Bator 1602N

pawnman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 13, 2010
N.E. Tennessee
I received the subject incubator for Christmas. I've raised chickens before from day old chicks, but now that I have this I would like to start hatching my own. Does anyone have any tips, tricks or suggestions for this incubator? I also got the automatic egg turner with it. Would appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

That was the first one that I used. It's okay, but it is VERY sensitive to room temperatures. When the room I had it in stayed at constant temps it hatched great. If there was any fluctuation at all in room temp the bator fluctuated as well. I had some great hatches and then I had some awful hatches. Even something so simple as turning the AC on made a difference. (I was spring and summer hatching.) Be very careful about where you place it and you should be fine. You might start with free eggs first though. A couple of test hatches before you buy eggs will help you figure out the best way to run it at your house.

Congratulations! Hatching is a BLAST!!!

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

It is a great place to learn all sorts of stuff!
smile.png

Yes, welcome to BYC!

I have a 1602N, and i love it. I have never had anything else, so maybe i'm just naive.
wink.png
But i love my 'bator.

My tips would be to ignore the water troughs and use sponges or rags on top of the grate for humidity; do like city girl said, and put it in an area that will be less affected by a/c or opening doors, etc.; and read this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113681&p=3 to help you develop your own method.

My first hatch was pretty bad, but since then i have had all excellent hatches, and i love my 'bator.

I have three of em.. Two for my turning and one for lockdown.. I will eventually get a larger one of very high quality, but these work pretty well.. I would recommend a few things. #1 immediately get a different thermometer, the one that comes with it sucks. It was almost 7 degrees off for me. Get a hygrometer, and try to keep a constant humidity level of anywhere between 30 and 40 percent. Take the red vent plugs on the roof off, and i would buy a circulating fan that mounts on the roof over the four middle air holes. This is the best way to circulate the heat and keep a constant environment, without hot and cold spots. Also, pay attention (as listed above) about WHERE you put it. Make sure the room is a constant temperature, as i often have to re-set mine to ensure correct temperature control. You can find may things like these listed above at incubator warehouse, as well as many other sites.. Happy hatching!!

DSCN2232.JPG

welcome-byc.gif

I have one and it works great!

You must get the Brinsea spot check thermometer, the one that comes with the bator is not accurate.

A hygrometer will help you with humidity, it needs to be calibrated before you use it. Here's how:
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer.htm

Place the bator away from direct lights, window, or any drafty area.

Enjoy and prepare to be addicted! I have more babies due to hatch on New Years Day!

How hard is it to install the fan? I have 1 coming for my Christmas present. DH also ordered a fan so at least he listened to my brainstorming on which one I was going to get.

I installed a fan in mine I own 2 and the fan in the one used as an incubator with the turner is great. The other one gave me some troubles so we disconnected it. You can just go to the electronics section or order a 80mm fan off of ebay and get a cell phone adapter and mount it to the top of the incubator where the little holes are not the two vent holes

Back
Top Bottom