Hova-Bator Arrived!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rocky4052, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Rocky4052

Rocky4052 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Got it today. I thought the package I ordered had the thermal air flo, but it has the 2362n model with the fan. That is definitely a plus!(also includes a turner). Now I should set it up and make sure temp is right for a day or to before setting eggs in it right? Any other tips? Oh, also humidity has to be right.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Dan, READ, READ and READ some more!!!!!!!!!!
    I posted here dry incubaton, it has a link that I consider a must before starting. There are many other articles to read. You should see if there is anyone locally that can help you. This is the next best thing. Trial and error is the last thing you want to do.

3. Rocky4052

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Thanks for the reply, John. I found that link, and certainly will read it before I start. For now, I just plugged it in to get the temp adjusted. I still have to get a hygrometer. There appears to be a red light on top of the bator... is that supposed to be on when yhe bator is plugged in? It's not.

4. Rocky4052

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Ah---it's on now . It must go on when it reaches it's set temp?? No- it's off again. What does that light mean??

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  5. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    The red light is on when the heater is working and goes off when the correct temp has been reached. Like Panner123 said: Read, read read. And ask questions if you don't understand. There are plenty of us here that have been there, done that.

BTW....[​IMG]

6. Rocky4052

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Thanks! I'll have to get the hygrometer next, cause the humidity level will change the temp, I'm sure. I like this site--always get good answers.[​IMG]

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    What are you planning to hatch? Be careful, you'll be addicted after that first hatch. LOL!

Good luck and keep us posted. And, as everyone else mentioned, this is an excellent place to learn from. Everyone is always willing to help.

8. Rocky4052

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    I'm going to hatch eggs from my 20 Pearl White Leghorns. Figured I'd start there considering I can always use more eggs for my customers. (plus I won't have to pay for hatching eggs) Had tried strapping a couple of hens down to their eggs, but they kept breaking them trying to escape!! (only kidding) Later I'll try a different breed.

One concern that I have is the time of year. I probably should wait -but i doubt that I will be able to leave that bator empty for that long!! Plus, I am laid up with a compressed fracture in my back and going bonkers around here. Been spending a lot of time on BYC-(which is how that bator got here to begin with.) Kept clicking on the incubating and hatching eggs forum, thus developing a fever. Just hope I don't become too addicted- I have good neighbors that don't mind chickens wandering around their yard,which is a good thing , but there might be a limit. I might find a city official knocking at my door!!

Sorry about the long post, but like I say- I'm going bonkers!!!

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    BYC is the exact reason I got my bator...well, my two bators. I had no intentions to hatch eggs. Thought never even crossed my mind. But, then I kept clicking on all those hatching threads. I lasted for almost a month before I order the first bator.

Good luck. And, try not to go too stir-crazy!!

10. Rocky4052

Mar 16, 2007
    Southeastern Ma.
    Too Late-----there already!!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by