1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hova Bator Genesis for Dummies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazy4eggsJulie, Jan 12, 2011.

1. crazy4eggsJulie

crazy4eggsJulie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    I finally broke down and bought my first incubator-a Hova Bator Genesis 1588 model. They say that it is idiot proof, but I'm certain I can prove that claim wrong!
    I have NO experience with incubators and the entire concept is foreign to me.

I've combed the threads looking for info, but does anyone have any tips for this specific 'bator that they wish they would have known on their first hatch?
    The room temp where I plan to incubate is 68 degrees, will that be a problem?

I've read about people adding aquarium tubing to add water but my directions say there is a place to fill water without moving the turner like it's not a problem to open the 'bator to add water. What works best?

Also, they included no hydrometer and just say to keep the middle tray full until the last 2 days. Does that mean I don't need one? Dumb questions I know, but you'd think they'd say something like "hydrometer not included" or something like that to make beginners know what they need!

Thanks!

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Lol... Good post... The 1588 is a wonderful incubator and will provide you with years of service, however, I would get a hygrometer. As with all incubators humidity is relitive. For instance I live in Louisiana where at 70 degrees, my RH is right now about 70 precent. As you raise the temp in my house, the RH will fall. Inside your bator it doesn't have its' own atmosphere, but uses the air from outside the bator. Now with that being said, in MOST situations yes you can fill the center tray at hatching, and just follow the manufactures suggestions. But I would spend 9 bucks and get an inexpensive hygrometer and a thermometer. I'm not a fan of the stapled on bulb thermometer that is included with the bator, but I use it as a cross reference.

3. chkinut

chkinut Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Leesburg, Ohio
    i have a 1588 and a hygrometer that i bought at petsmart. i just did what the 1588's manufacturers directions said and just filled up the center tray for days 1-17 and it keeps my humidity at around 40%ish (sometimes a tad higher, sometimes a tad lower).....and i only have to add a cup of warm water every 3 days or so. i had a great hatch rate just a couple weeks ago! now i have 17 OE in there! woohoo!!

4. crazy4eggsJulie

Mar 15, 2009
    I'm having a hard time telling where to put the water. The instructions show where to put it for the first 18 days. Then they say to add it to the outer troughs as well. Do y'all put it in all of the outer ones---both sides?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. DMSrabbit

DMSrabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Portland, OR
    So i just got 2 of these babies.. I like them already, they have incredible consistent temperatures, and seem to handle opening the bator quite well..

I dont use the red vent plugs in the top, thats about the only thing i do differently.. Oh yeah, and i dont open the bator to add water.. Heres how you do that..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=433449

Heres it modified to the Genesis Hovabator:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yeah.. im expecting some good hatch results this run!!

6. crazy4eggsJulie

Mar 15, 2009
    Okay, bought the hydrometer...where do I want my humidity to stay? In the event that it spikes, Do I understand correctly to pull the plug?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by